Chapter 70

~Granted~

"Freeing her will be no easy task," Oris said, once Hermes turned his gaze on her.

"And," it took only a moment for her to decide how to convey her concerns, "there was an assassin in the dungeons."

"The assassin is dead. Nian Fey's condition is still unknown," Hermes replied, understanding her immediately. "There is no way to inspect the cells without drawing attention to what is happening. I do not want the court involved in this."

"And my assistance is somehow of value to you?"

How, was the next question.

She could think of a handful of ways that she could help, but thinking wasn't her job here, it was his. Volunteering herself for this... mission was the last thing she was going to do.

He had to have more investment in it than she did. The more committed he was to freeing his mother, the safer she would be if it all fell apart in the end.

"You can oppose my mother openly. I cannot," was his answer.

It was an inadequate one.

"You wish for me to throw my life away?" Oris stared at him, her expression blank. "The secrets of the imperial family are not those that can be known by the common people. . .and you cannot favor me openly, sire."

Once it was confirmed that she knew more than she should about the inner workings of the harem, she would become a target for whoever had been involved in that year's scheme.

Going into that sort of situation without a way to protect herself, was a death wish.

"Still. Favor you, I shall."

"Because I am problematic?"

Because I am dispensable? Because your mother wants me dead? Because I am nothing but a pawn in the grand scheme of palace politics? Because you are Emperor?

"Because," he took a step in her direction then motioned to the space between them, "of this."

"This? Again?" Oris allowed a laugh to slip past her lips. A tired laugh because she was weary. Weary of what this man was up to now. "Another riddle?"

"The same one," Hermes said, and let his head fall back.

Just as she had done the moment she had first woken up, he stared at the beauty that was the ceiling.

She stared at him.

The tight curls of his dark hair fell much past his waist now, and his oiled skin almost glistened in the candlelight.

When he didn't speak, he was almost perfect in that way. The undefeated champion of Sūn.

If only his ambitions had steered clear of Orse, maybe then they would have been on equal footing and had something more than a fickle decree connecting them.

Then again, she supposed that the Hermes in front of her now wouldn't be the same one to stand before her as Queen.

Here, in this room, we both wear less masks than we are accustomed to, she thought, not able to take her eyes off him.

After all, this was only a deal, a risky one that needed a level of sincerity to succeed.

Being the emperor in the room, Hermes didn't need to take his masks off, but he tried. So she tried too, just to make things fair.

"Your Majesty?"

"You are right. I could use any woman here. They are so..." he looked down, a wry smile on his lips, "eager to please."