10. The Finale

Clay jerked awake. He turned to his right and saw the king staring back at him. Clay blinked and stared at him uneasily. Techno let out a forced chuckle.

"No, I wasn't watching you sleep, if that's what you were wondering," said Techno jokingly, leaning against the stone wall. The blonde sat up and rubbed his eyes. "I was sent to wake you up to eat breakfast before the execution."

"I'm not hungry," said Clay sulkily, looking at the ground. He can't believe he helped this lunatic, just to let him sentence him to die. Techno frowned. "You have to eat something, you'll feel better."

Clay snorted and crossed his arms. The king just shrugged and gave him a tiny smile. "Here, eat this," he handed him a muffin through the bars. "Nicked it from the kitchens, thought you'd enjoy it. Get ready, Nick will fetch you in five minutes."

The king left, leaving Clay all alone. He ate the muffin moodily, his face falling when he saw Sapnap approach the cell. He unlocked it and pointed his sword at him. The blonde stood up and nodded, his stomach twisting in knots.

"Nice and easy does it," said Sapnap, pressing the sword to his neck and leading him out of the dungeons. The two walked out to the courtyard, which was already packed with people. He looked around and saw George amidst the people, his face red. Clay let out a sigh.

He looked through the crowd and tried to see if he recognised any of the others. He didn't see anyone he recognised, not even the lady that accused him of the murder. He felt a bit better.

Sapnap led him to the noose, standing him above the trapdoor. He slowly adjusted the rope around Clay's neck, making sure it fit him well before walking back. Clay was pleading internally, hoping somehow a miracle would happen.

He didn't want to die. He desperately looked at Techno, who seemed to wink at him. He stared at him in disbelief. What the hell was he playing at?

Sapnap has left. He was now standing by the lever, holding it tightly. Clay closed his eyes, bracing for the impact. Sapnap glanced at Techno, who was watching intently. George was looking away and holding Bad's hand so tight, that Bad was sure it would cut of his circulation.

Techno nodded slowly, a sinister smile growing on his face. Clay was screaming inside. Please, don't let me die. Please, I'm innocent. God, please.

The courtyard was silent. Everyone held their breath. A couple of ravens landed on the fence gate, letting out cold squawks.

Tears were running down his face. His eyes were jammed shut. He didn't dare open them. Any moment now. Sapnap, who was gripping the lever tightly, pulled it towards himself.

There was a gasp. George let out a suppressed sob and Techno smiled wider. Bad's mouth was open in disbelief. He too, had tears in his eyes. Finn and Vincent were both holding each other tightly, Phil was shaking his head. Tommy, who wasn't allowed to attend the execution, has been watching the whole thing from a tower window. He let out a shriek and made the brunette wake up with a start.

"AHHHH - sorry Wilbur - it's just so intense!" Tommy screamed, gripping the window sill. Wilbur sat up groggily, his confused face turning into an angry one. "Tommy! Phil told you not to watch the damn execution!"

"Well yeah, but come have a look, Will!" he screamed and Wilbur peeked out of the window, raising an eyebrow. Tommy was nodding excitedly - Wilbur didn't know what he was looking at.

Clay, slowly but surely, opened one eye. The trapdoor didn't budge. Sapnap stared at the lever, then pulled it again. Nothing.

"What's wrong with the damn thing?" Sapnap muttered, flipping the lever yet again. George looked back and exhaled, his stream of tears stopping. Techno was grinning broader than ever.