˗ˋ 02

CHAPTER TWO

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH EVERYONE RETURNS TO HOGWARTS

. . .

The train ride to Hogwarts was mostly composed of discussions about the World Cup, worry expressed from Angelina and Lee Jordan, who didn't attend, as they heard the tales of the twins and Rosie's experience.

Angelina took a specific interest into the topic of Cedric Diggory, and the pair spent a good quarter of an hour discussing it. Then, Fred and George began to tell the three others of what their mum had told them.

"So somethings happening at Hogwarts?" Rosie asked, and the twins nodded. "And it requires rules? That have changed?" The girl looked significantly more interested in the conversation than when it revolved around the Diggory boy. 

The group continued to discuss what might be possibly occuring at Hogwarts most of the way through the train journey, and even as they exited the train and made their way to the carriages which would take them to the castle.

"All right, yeh lot? Yeh lookin' mischievous Fred." Hagrid, the half-giant gamekeeper greeted the group. "Had a good summer? Didn' cause too much trouble I hope." He continued.

"Of course not, Hagrid." Fred replied, a twinkle in his eye and definitely not innocent smile appeared on his face. "Say, you wouldn't be able to tell us anything about what is happening at Hogwarts?"

"Can' tell yeh about tha'. Yeh'll find out later though. I've got to make sure these lot don' drown." Hagrid replied, and the group rushed past before Hagrid so that they were in front of the group of first years.

They boarded a carriage and arrived at the school, being greeted by Peeves, who narrowly missed Rosie and Angelina as he threw a water balloon. Muttering to each other, Angelina and Rosie followed the trio of boys into the Great Hall, slipping into seats rather close to the end of the Gryffindor table that was by the raised platform on which teachers were sat. 

Almost instantly, Angelina jabbed Rosie in the side with her elbow, and the dark haired girl yet out a yelp which drew unwanted attention to her. "What? You know you can just, I don't know, say my name or tap me gently to get me attention." Rosie replied, rubbing her side. 

"Cedric's looking at you." Angelina told her, and looking just a bitter, but with a blush spreading across her cheeks, Rosie looked over to where Angelina directed her. And sure enough, Cedric Diggory was looking at her, a half-smile on his face.

Catching Cedric's eye Rosie smiled, and returned the tiny wave the boy gave her. The blush seemed to deepen on her face as she stared at the table, and George, about to say something to her, promptly closed his mouth as the large doors into the Great Hall swung open. 

McGonagall lead the line of first years down the middle aisle, and so the sorting began. Various boys and girls got sorted into Gryffindor, and Rosie clapped along like usual, but she wasn't extremely invested in it.

Her mind was too busy with the various theories that her, George, Fred, Angelina and Lee had come up with to what Mrs Weasley and the older Weasley brothers could have been talking about.

This continued as the whole hall began to eat, the various plates of food seeming to not deplete until they disappeared completely, and all attention was drawn to Professor Dumbledore, the rain and wind howling outside the warm walls of the castle.

 "So!" said Dumbledore, smiling around at them all, the usual smile on his face. "Now that we are all fed and watered "I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices."

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched. 

The twins exchanged glances between each other, which faded as Dumbledore continued. 

"As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." The words fell onto a shocked crowd.

"What?" Rosie exclaimed, stopping herself from standing up in shock. She looked at Angelina, who's face was blank, then at the twins, who seemed to be mouthing wordlessly at Dumbledore. Down the table, Harry looked mortified, as did any other Quidditch player.

"This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy — but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts-" Dumbledore continued, ignoring the shocked expression of most people in the hall, until he was interrupted.

Rosie almost jumped out of her skin for the second time that day, and she began to consider whether or not she seemed to be sensitive to louder noises, as she covered her ears as a rumble of thunder echoed, and the doors swung open once again. 

A man had entered the room, holding a loud staff and covered in a black cloak. A clunking noise echoed through the silent hall as he made his way down the table, and in a flash of lightening, they got to see his face.

A moving eye, fake of course. A face so badly scarred that Rosie wonder about what exactly had this man done in his life. "May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" said Dumbledore brightly into the silence. "Professor Moody."

"No way." The twins exclaimed, and Rosie's jaw dropped. "Mad-eye Moody? The one dad went to help this morning?" They continued, and Dumbledore looked out into the crowd of teenagers, who were waiting for him to continue. 

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "As I was saying," he said, smiling at the sea of students beforehim, all of whom were still gazing transfixed at Mad-Eye Moody, "We are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century.It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year." 

"You're JOKING!" said Fred loudly. The tension that had filled the Hall ever since Moody's arrival suddenly broke. Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively. 

"No way." Rosie mumbled, as the twins seemed to be shocked into silence once again. She zoned out as Dumbledore continued to explain. 

"The heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving with their short-listed contenders in October, and the selection ofthe three champions will take place at Halloween. An impartialjudge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup, the glory of their school, and a thousand Galleons personal prize money." Dumbledore said

"I'm going for it!" Fred hissed down the table, only to have his hopes dashed as Dumbledore announced that only those who were of age could enter. And then, the two twins eyes had moved to Rosie, who was to turn seventeen in just a matter of a week and two days. 

And suddenly, Rosie had a feeling she wouldn't be doing as much studying as she hoped she would be.