58

A day passed after the Angi Kai. With Zuko's victory, he was able to become leader of the Fire Nation.

At the capital, Soana had entered Zuko's room to congratulate him before his coronation of becoming Fire Lord.

As she opened the door to his room, she walked in and closed it behind her only to see Zuko sitting on his bed and Mai standing at the foot as if the two were talking.

"Sorry." Soana apologized, her eyes widening.
"I didn't know I was interrupting something."

Mai frowned slightly and trained her eyes on the red marble floor.
"No, you're not. In fact, I think this should involve you too."

"Me?" Soana questioned.

"Yeah," Mai sighed.
"What I said about me carrying Zuko's child a few months ago. That was a lie. I'm not pregnant at all."

Soana raised her brows and crossed her arms.

"I only said those things because of Azula. She said it was the only way I could get Zuko to come back to me, but now I see the truth. He loves you so much, more than life itself. From how terrible he looks from taking a lightning bold for you, I'd say his feelings for you are true unlike the way he felt for me."

She sighed loudly and glanced in between Soana and Zuko.
"I was strongly jealous of your relationship with him, but now that I know I won't be able to have that with him, I've realized I need to move on and find someone who can love me like how Zuko loves you. What I'm trying to say is I'm truly sorry for trying to put a damper on you bo-
oof!"

Mai didn't have the chance to finish before Soana tackled her in her embrace. She was very skeptical of Soana's hug, but slowly she grew comfortable with it and gave into the princess.

"I get that you've been a real pain, but I really hate making enemies, however, I do like making friends." She said to Mai.

"Friends."
They broke apart before Mai gave her a genuine grin then removed herself from the bedroom, leaving only the princess and her husband.

"Congrats, Fire Lord." Soana grinned coyly.

Zuko peered up to her with his golden stare.
"As the new Fire Lord, I've figured out my first decree."

Soana examines his emotion almost as unreadable until she noticed the small frown.
"What decree?"

"I want you to go home, Soana."

She stammered, slightly speechless as she comprehend his words.
"What?" She breathed.

"Your sisters dead, your father misses you terribly, and your friends are staying there for refuge. You should go back to the North Pole and be with them rather than here."

"You're sending me back?"

He shook his head and sent her an apologetic look.

"I'm not sending you anywhere. I'm offering it to you, only because I know you miss your family. That and an old wise uncle of mine told me that if I love someone then I should set them free." He said, moving the hair from his vision.
"If it was meant to be then they would come back."