𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟔𝟗

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Sweat trickled down the back of his neck, soaking the tiny curls of his cinnamon hair at his nape, as Obi-Wan jumped down from his speeder and trudged towards the Lars moisture farm. Years ago, when Anakin had deigned to inform Obi-Wan of his mother's death, he'd also told Obi-Wan of his visit with the Lars family.

Obi-Wan figured he at least owed the Lars family a brief recount of recent events. Or, at least, that's what he told himself was the reason why he'd decided to pay a visit. In actuality, Obi-Wan had come to visit Shmi Skywalker's grave to ask her forgiveness for failing her only son.

Heart heavy, Obi-Wan spotted the small gravesite roughly fifty yards away from the small, domed building that led down to the Lars's house below. As he approached the grave, he read the words engraved in the stone.

Beloved wife and mother, Shmi Skywalker Lars.

Obi-Wan felt a pang of guilt and regret. Obi-Wan done everything in his power to prevent Anakin's return to Tatooine-- to his mother-- throughout Anakin's Padawan years. Obi-Wan had always been aware of Anakin's intention to free his mother by saving up his money given by the Order, but Obi-Wan had never done anything to contribute to Anakin's stockpile of saved-up money, nor did he approve of Anakin's desire to free his mother.

Anakin was supposed to have let go of his mother and his past in order to embrace the life of a Jedi free of attachments and possessions. But, of course, Anakin had been no ordinary Padawan. He had been too old for a Padawan learner, making it harder for him to forget his family, his mother, and Anakin had a tendency to become emotionally over-attached to things... to people.

It was simply his nature.

Instead, Obi-Wan had let Anakin continue his hopeful desire, and he and Qui Gon had freed Anakin and left Shmi on Tatooine as a slave. It was only because of the generosity and love of a man, Cliegg Lars, that had saved Shmi from a life of toil and cruelty.

Another bout of shame flared through Obi-Wan. From Anakin's stories of his mother, Shmi had seemed like a good, compassionate person. She hadn't deserve the Jedi's indifferent treatment towards her.

Crouching down, Obi-Wan clutched a fistful of sand as overwhelming sadness crushed his chest. His caramel-colored eyes brimmed with tears as he sensed an echo of lingering sadness and despair in this very spot through the Force.

Anakin's despair.

"I'm sorry," Obi-Wan choked out, his eyes turned to the sand before the grave. "I have failed Anakin. I have lost him to the Dark Side."

His fist tightened around the sand in his grasp. It was all his fault. If he had been a better mentor to Anakin, then perhaps Anakin would never have gone to the Dark Side. Perhaps, Anakin would've trusted him rather than Palpatine with his troubles and despairs.

Obi-Wan would've listened.

He would've listened to Anakin's worries, and he would've guided him through them, helping him see reason and clarity. But Anakin had not trusted Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan could not help but wonder why, wonder where he had failed as a mentor.

Perhaps Obi-Wan should've squashed Anakin's rebelliousness and troublingly unconventional tendencies when he'd first noticed them in the young nine-year old. Perhaps if Obi-Wan had been more attending and stringent, then Anakin would've turned out like the Jedi he should have been, rather than the Jedi he had been.

"I have failed you, Anakin," Obi-Wan whispered, voice thick with emotion.

"He has been lost for a long time, Obi-Wan," a gravely, deep, familiar voice spoke from above him, and Obi-Wan startled as his head whipped up towards the voice. He found Qui Gon Jinn standing there before him just behind the gravestone.