chapter six!

chapter six! the birthday parties

─── ✽ ───

"So, Rory, Thea,
your grandfather and I thought it might be nice after dinner for you two to go around the house and pick out what you'd like us to leave you in our wills," Emily randomly declared as the Gilmore family sat around the dining table waiting for the current maid to bring out the dessert.

"Take a look at the desk in my office. It's a really fine Georgian piece,"

"Why don't I ever bring a tape recorder to these dinners?" Lorelai pondered, not even flinching as her mother glared over at her.

"Oh, well, anything you want to leave me is fine," Rory added sweetly, not wishing to discuss the topic further.

"Nonsense. You should have what you like," Emily dismissed, with a soft shake of her head, "So, look around and when you see something you like, stick a post-it on it,"

"Did you take my post-its, Grandma?" Thea asked, looking up from her dinner and over at her grandmother.

"Okay, you two have officially hit a new level of weird that even I marvel at," Lorelai laughed.

"You can pick out things too, you know," Emily smiles, trying to involve Lorelai in the conversation.

"Oh, well now it's way less creepy,"

"Did you hear that, Richard? Apparently, we're creepy," Emily

"Yes, well live and learn," Richard nodded,

"Oh, cool!" Rory exclaims at the sight of the maid carrying in a tray of pudding.

"What's that?" Lorelai asked, straining to see what the maid was carrying out.

"It's dessert,"

"It's pudding," Lorelai mumbled, looking down into the crystal bowl that had been placed in front of her.

"Well, if you knew what it was, why did you ask?" Emily asked, confused by her daughter's comments.

"You don't like pudding,"

"Yeah, but you like pudding,"

"Oh, I love pudding. I worship it. I have a bowl up on the mantel at home with the Virgin Mary, a glass of wine and a dollar bill next to it," Lorelai joked as the maid placed the crystal bowl in front of her.