Her savior

Picture of River above

River's POV
After lunch was over, I decided that I am going to skip the rest of my classes. First day of school and I'm already done with it.

Also I really need to take a smoke. With that in mind, I headed to the back of school. I walked past a couple of other people who are hurrying inside, then finally reached one of my favorite spots to smoke at. There's a small wooden table and a nice big oak tree shading over the area.

I let out a sigh and leaned against the brick wall. I then reached into my pocket, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. I always have at least two packs with me since I kind of smoke a lot. I know it's bad for my health, but I don't really care.

A couple of poofs later, I heard the annoying sound of the loud speaker buzzing on.

"River Smith to the office please, River Smith to the office."

I let out a loud huff and reluctantly put out my cigar, my mood getting even worse if possible. The walk to the office was dreadful, I don't want to deal with this right now. I don't even know why I went, I should have just ignored the announcement.

When I reached the door, I threw it open and eyed the secretary with a questioning look. She shrugged and pointed to the door of the principal's office. I rolled my eyes and grudgingly made my way to her door. I didn't even bother to knock, I'm here so often that we know each other on a first name bases.

"Mr. Smith," Mrs. Every, the principle said without even glancing up from the papers she's reading.

"Mrs. Every," I answered while taking a seat in the flimsy chair in front of her dark brown desk.

"Do you know why your here?" She asked, finally looking up and pushing her papers away to a random corner.

"No idea, but based on the fact that I'm already skipping class this early on, it probably has something to do with that," I replied. If that's what it's about, I'm already prepared to tune out her entire conversation. I've heard it hundreds of times before, I don't know how to get it through her head that I don't care.

"No. That's not what this is about, this is about something else," she said to my surprise. But before a I could get my hopes up too high, she continued with the dreaded words "This is about your grades." 

I rolled my eyes at her and leaned back in my chair. I thought that since it's so early on in the semester, maybe she would give me a break about my grades, but I guess I was wrong.

"Since your grades have been very low the past two years of school, I along with your parents have decided that it would be best for you to have a tutor," she announced while leaning forward in her chair and staring me straight in the eyes.

What! That's a terrible idea. I don't get along with people, plus how many times do I have to say that I don't care about my grades.

"No way," I said, standing up to leave. This is so stupid.

"Wait!" Mrs. Every called just as I reached the door. I slowly moved my hand from the doorknob and turned to face her with my eyebrows raised.

"What?" I asked, irritation clear in my voice.

"You don't have a choice. Your parents already decided that you need a tutor if you want to graduate next school year and that's final. There's nothing that you can do about it. You'll start next week."

I huffed and rolled my eyes murmuring a "We'll se about that," before stomping out the door all the way to my car. I don't even care about staying, I'm so done with school.