Altina's Rise

Altina was reading a book.

Clidéas von Krëudés's

A God's Defeat.

It was a book in an ancient language she had read several times; a hypothetical story about the fall of the god of all creation.

She heard Ford's footsteps as he rushed into the throne room.

"Hm?" Altina didn't lift her eyes up from the book.

"I have some... troubling news, milord." His voice was shaky as he spoke.

"I'm intrigued," she said, closing her book and leaning back on her throne.

"Over the past few days... there's been news spreading of a new movement." Altina noticed a bead of sweat roll down his cheek.

"There have been rumors of people beginning to disagree with your ways. They plan on overthrowing you."

Altina remained silent.

"M... milord?" Ford's voice was frail.

"If you do not resolve this quickly, I promise you this: I will not hesitate to slay you using my own blade."

"Yes, milord." Ford quickly got up and left.

It was evening now, and she and Serot were resting on their balcony.

"Do you believe this could truly be a possible threat?" Altina asked.

"Certainly not, dear sister. Nobody in our kingdom would truly believe in that."

The entire kingdom was respecting Vaequilian tradition by keeping her as Empress.

She herself had gotten to that position through the tradition, after all, with the help of her dragon blade.

The sword - along with several other weapons - were built from dragon bones, from when they used to populate the world.

"Serot. Remember when we were young? When the other villagers mocked and beat us for being weak.?"

"Yes... I remember you spent all your time in caves during that time. You said it was calming?" he responded.

"It really was..." she looked beside her throne to lift up the dragon blade, sheathed with care. "After I found this sword in that cave, it really changed our lives, didn't it?"

"I suppose. It was your swordfighting teacher who revealed your talent for swordplay."

"Yes. Yes it was."

Altina paused.

"I... I just want you to know that I fought to prove everybody that I wasn't weak... so I could protect you." She continued.

There was silence as Serot poured some water into a glass.

"It was quite amazing, what you managed to do with that blade." Serot recalled.

Altina looked beyond her balcony, over the horizon.

"I had not realized I had defeated the king until the villagers began calling me 'Your Highness'."