Chapter 3

Kate's Pov

I hurry along to work as I see Mrs. Haynes waiting.

"Mrs. Haynes I'm so sorry I'm late" I say apologising.

"Oh it's fine, Ms. Connor called, she said the interview took a lot longer than expected" She says.

What the hell? How did she know where I worked? There must be at least 20 Hardware's in the vicinity. Did she call all of them just to find the right one.. just to tell my boss I'll be late? No.. there's no way.

"How did the interview go?" She asks as I was deep in thought.

"It went well.. I think" I say as I rummage through my bag looking for the question paper.

Oh my gosh! Where is it? Don't tell me I dropped it somewhere! I wrote the answers down on it. Oh no Candice is gonna kill me.

"Are you okay Kate? You zoned out" She asks.

"Oh yeah I'm fine. Just had a long morning" I smiled.

"Would you like the rest of the day off? You could go home and rest?" She says.

"Oh no no. I'd rather be occupied" I say.
There's no way I can go home now and face Candice right now.

"Kate" Says Ryan.

"Good Morning Ryan" I say.

"You look different. You're glowing" He says.

"Glowing? How so?" I ask.

"I can't explain it. Did something interesting happen?" He asks.

"Nope. Not really" I respond smiling.

The day went by pretty smoothly. Not much really happened. All I could do all day was think about Jane. Why is she even on my mind? She seems like a douche but why am I still thinking about her? She should be an afterthought. I finish up and decided to head home. I really didn't want to tell Candice I lost the question paper, she worked so hard on it and it would break her heart. I bought her a slice of cheesecake to soften the blow.

I arrive at the apartment and take a deep breath as I slowly open the door.

"Kate!" She yells.

"Candice I'm so sorry" I say wincing.

"For what? Ms. Connor said you were impressive and she emailed me all the answers, she answered every single one of them" She smiled as she hugged me as I stood there dumbstruck.

"I bought you cheesecake" I smile.

"Oh thank you! I love cheesecake" She smiles.

"Well I can see you're feeling better" I smiled.

I then headed to the shower totally forgetting about the cold water. Gosh I really want hot water for this shower. I changed my clothes and headed back outside to see Candice on the computer. Someone then knocked on the door.

"I'll get it" I say yawning.

I open the door and there she was, Ms. Jane Connor standing right outside my apartment.

"Ja... Jane" I say as I stutter.

"Kate" She smiled with a bottle of champagne in hand.

"What are you doing here?" I say in shock.

"May I come in Ms. Williams?" She asks.

"Oh right. Yes, come on in" I say as I step aside.

"Holy shit! It's Jane Connor" Yells Candice.

"Ah. You must be Ms. Barker, it's a pleasure to meet you" She says to her as she sat there confused... As she should be.

"What are you doing here?" I whisper.

"Well.. I was in the neighbourhood and decided to stop by?" She says smiling.

"I don't know if that was a question or an answer. Anyway... So you just happen to be in the neighbourhood where I coincidentally live with a bottle of champagne?" I ask.

"Ok fine. Don't freak out but I followed you" She says.

"The hell! Are you a stalker?" I yell catching Candice's attention.

"There's a pressing matter I need to discuss with you, something had caught my attention" She says.

"Couldn't it wait till the morning?" I ask.

"I'm afraid not, Ms. Williams. Can we go talk somewhere in private?" She asked.

"Sure" I say as I direct her to my room.

Candice's jaw then dropped as she gave me the thumbs up but I give her the death stare.

"What's so important?" I ask as I close my bedroom door.

"I was doing the questionnaire today and there was a question you asked that wasn't on there" She says.

"Which one?" I ask.

"Are you gay?" She says as I start blushing.

"Oh right. That one" I say laughing.

She then walked up to me and pushed me against the wall as she moved her body closer to mine.

"I'm not gay Ms. Williams but I have been with one girl before. I'm mostly into men. You see, I'm what you call a sadist, it means I like to inflict pain, the pain she endured gave me pleasure. I've been with no other girl but her. Then there's you, I can't quite explain it yet but it seems I can make you the exception" She explains.

"What? Me? Why me?" I ask blushing.

"There's something about you Ms. Williams that I can't wrap my head around. I've taken a liking to you" She says.

"You seem hard to please Ms. Connor" I whisper.

"So I've been told but in actuality I'm pleased very easily. You should know I'm not the romantic type so don't expect hearts and flowers" She says as her eyes pierce mine.

"Well Ms. Connor, you'll have to make an exception then cause I do enjoy hearts and flowers" I tease.

"Where was this confidence this morning?" She asks.

"Maybe I've let my walls down Ms. Connor" I say.

"Well you shouldn't" She whispers.

"You're getting closer. You'd like to kiss me. Don't you?" I whisper.

"Yes. I want to but I can't" She says.

"Why not?" I ask.

"I can't touch you without your written consent" She says as she backs away.

"Written consent?" I ask confused.

"I'll explain everything tomorrow at dinner" She says.

"Oh are you asking me out to dinner?" I ask.

"Yes Ms. Williams" She smiles.

"Then ask" I smirk.

"I command" She says as she comes closer.

"Oh no no. That won't do Ms. Connor" I say as I fold my arms as she blushed.

"You're a stubborn one aren't you? I'm usually the one in command Kate" She says.

"Not tonight you aren't" I smile. She then sighed in defeat and started blushing. She then took my hand and looked me dead in the eyes.

"Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night Kate?" She asks.

"Sure Jane. I would love to have dinner with you" I smile.

A first date or a beautiful disaster, just what are you planning Ms. Connor?