CHAPTER IV

And then on the night with the setting sun

She went into the woods away

SAPPHIRE

I was a little kid once again. I locked the doors and windows behind her, as my wounded mother entered the house. I could hear the sounds of raging battle. The sound of explosions. Wolves howling. Screams, echoing all around.

Mom somehow made her way to the couch and laid down. Her breathing was heavy. I crawled up to her.

"Promise me, Sapphire, you'll be strong, you'll take care of Ralph." she said.

"Mom, we'll defeat them, won't we?" I asked as fear bubbled in the pit of my stomach.

"I wish that was true, love, but it isn't... Y-y-you have t-to get out of here. Take your brother, be safe." she said giving me a painful but reassuring smile.

"Mom, please, don't leave me... please." tears streamed down my face.

"I love you, baby, always remember that. I'll always stay with you. In your heart-" but before she could complete the sentence the door feel off its hinges with a loud bang.

The devil himself walked in, dragging my dad with him.

"Dad-" I tried to approach my father, but I hit the magical barrier my mom had created. She stood up with some difficulty.

"Go! Get out of here! Through the backdoor!" Mom yelled at me. But I was too paralysed to follow. The alpha, smiled coldly at me, raising a sword to my father's neck.

"I get the leader, I get the cult, don't I?" he asked my mother.

"Please don't do this." My mother almost pleaded.

The alpha merely threw back his head and laughed like a maniac. However, this gave my dad enough time to break free.

I shifted out of paralysis and ran from the backdoor, taking a crying Ralph, along with me, as my parents fought their last battle to give us time to escape.

I sat up with a shock as my brain shifted out of the flashback/dream. My breathing was heavy and erratic. It took me sometime to digest in my surroundings. I was in some kind of infirmary. An intravenous was attached to my left hand. But who brought me here? My mind shifted to whom I had seen before I fainted back in the giant's lair. No it wasn't possible. I was probably hallucinating, it was someone else.

"So you are awake..." I heard a woman's voice say.

I whipped around my neck to see a woman in mid 40's watching me carefully.

"Who are you? And what is this place?" I asked, my voice revealed a hint of suspicion.

"Relax, you are safe. I'm your healer for now. The name's Hadley." she replied smiling.

"Where am I?" I asked again.

"The eclipse night pack."

"So this is a werewolf territory?"

Hadley nodded in response.

She might have caught my half panicked half angry expression.

"Is there an issue, hun?" she asked.

"Just I am a bit allergic to werewolves..." I trailed off.

She raised an eyebrow.

"Something in my past. Long story. You don't wanna know." I said, waving the matter off.