Chapter 77

Miranda's POV

"What are you still doing up?" Gandalf asked. "The battle begins tomorrow; you should get some rest."

"I'm waiting for someone," I replied.

"Well, why don't you join us then," He said standing up.

I looked up at him before nodding my consent. "I believe I will, thank you."

"Mithrandir. Luna." Thranduil asked, sounding bored. "Come to warn us about more whether patterns and dream interpretations?"

"Since when has my counsel counted for so little?" Gandalf asked angrily. "What do you think I'm trying to do?!"

"I think you are trying to save your dwarvish friends," Thranduil replied evenly. "And I admire your loyalty to them. But it does not dissuade me from my course. You started this, Mithrandir. You will forgive me it I finish it." Thranduil exited the tent as he continued speaking, this time to the surrounding guards. "Are the archers in position?"

"Yes, my lord," A guard answered, bowing in greeting.

"Give the order," Thranduil commanded. "If anything moves on that mountain, kill it. The dwarves are out of time." I watched as Gandalf hurriedly left the tent and began to speak with Bard in harsh whispers. "You do not follow him?" Thranduil asked, pouring a glass of wine.

"What reason could I have to want to save the dwarf who called me a monster?" I asked, swirling the cup of offered wine.

"You allowed him to kiss you, I imagine you feel something for him?" He said rather than asked.

"I was searching for something that was not there." I stated firmly. "I feel nothing romantic for him."

"But you still care for him. Thus, I find it hard to believe you," he replied. I sighed but said nothing further, Thranduil would not be persuaded. All that was left was to wait.

I did not have to wait long; I heard the sound of Bilbo's voice from outside the tent and stood. Thranduil watched me warily.

"Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf exclaimed happily.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards." Thranduil said, sitting down and eyeing Bilbo with feigned disinterest.

I almost chuckled at the face Bilbo made; he looked like a child caught taking an extra cookie. "Yes," he mumbled, looking down at the ground, "Sorry about that." Bard smirked a bit, seeming amused, Thranduil was not. "I came," Bilbo continued, pulling something out of his pocket and placing it onto the table. "To give you this." We watched as he unwrapped a shining white jewel.

Thranduil stood, eyes never leaving the glittering stone. "The heart of the mountain." He whispered in awe. "The King's Jewel."

"And worth a king's ransom," Bard added. "How is this yours to give?"

"I took it as my 15th share of the treasure," Bilbo replied, unable to meet their gazes.

I chuckled, gaining the attention of everyone in the room, "I knew you had it."

The people inside the tent looked at me bewildered. "How?" Bard asked.

"I just know things," I said smiling and winking at Bilbo.

A look of recollection crossed his features, "You mean like how you knew that we would visit Beorn and try to pass through Mirkwood only to get caught?"

"And the way you knew that I would slay the dragon?" Bard asked, catching on.

I nodded, looking sideways at the elf lord. His face was straight and showed no sign of emotion, but I felt he was beginning to take me more seriously. "Yes. It is the same way that I know an army of orcs are coming now."