Chapter thirteen

"The witches get their magic back, the werewolves are welcomed back into the quarter, and we all live peacefully" I messed with my glass, watching the reactions of the people around me.

"Wolves get to come into the quarter?" Diego asked outraged, sending a dirty look to Oliver.

"Oh yeah, like vampires are any better" Sophie Deveraux scoffed.

"Look all we care about is money, as long as our wallets stay full you freaks can do whatever you want" the mayor scowled.

"No, there need to be laws" Father Kieran protested at his colleague.

I shared a look with the two members of my family, rolling my eyes at everyone's behavior. "Enough" Klaus shouted, fed up with all the whining.

He stood, walking around the table and looking at many of its members in disgust. "The vampires are using an argument that I'll admit our family created, we started the rivalry, so that's quite enough of that, the werewolves are moving in" he leaned down next to Diego's ear. "Get over it" Nik straightened continuing his rant. "The greedy humans thinking they hold all the power when in reality they don't, my family could wipe out this entire town, every single creature in it, and not even bat an eye, so instead of demanding something you are undeserving of" he placed his hands on either side of the mayor and sheriff's shoulders. "Be glad we let you live everyday, you could so easily be replaced"

Nik walked past Father Kieran. "The humans are safe for now don't worry, we'll keep to tourists, won't touch the locals unless provoked" he pointed a finger at Oliver. "The wolves better behave or I'll let the vampires have their field day with all of you in your precious bayou." He finally stopped behind the two witches.

"And last but definitely least, the witches. You think you have my family under control, I assure you, you do not" Sophie's head snapped up at this. "The moment you are unlinked, I will personally slaughter every last responsible party, whether that be one person or the entire coven, I don't care which."

He settled behind my chair, his hands resting on my shoulders. "Now it's been a long night, I suggest you go home and sleep easy in your beds, knowing that through the Mikaelsons' grace, you live your pitiful every day existence"

The room cleared quickly, the humans being the first ones to leave. I stood, laying my hands on Klaus' chest. "My my, they were scared witless" I smirked, pecking his lips.

"You know even after all these years it's still gross when the two of you do that" Marcel commented, pushing his chair back. "But I have to hand it to you Klaus, I haven't seen the council that silent.... ever" I turned my head so I could see my adoptive son.

"You guys would've tore the poor mayor's head off if I hadn't kept the both of you calm" I cuddled into Nik's arms, my eyes on Marcel.

"That's because he disrespected you, but you put him in his place" our son shrugged, a proud smile on his face. "Although if he'd kept talking we would've done something"

We said goodnight to Marcel and Nik sped us home, carrying me bridal style. He didn't let me down until we were in his room.

He put me on the bed, but stayed standing, not knowing why he was acting odd, I took off my heels. "Where did you go just before dinner, you disappeared, not only from my sight but my hearing as well, you did that on purpose, I want to know why?"

"That dear husband isn't any of your concern" I stood, my shoes in hand, ready to leave.

He caught my arm before I could take a step closer to the door, keeping it in an iron grip. "You're keeping secrets, and I intend to uncover them all" he whispered in my ear.

Goosebumps ran all over my skin, a sigh falling from my mouth.

Nik sped me to the wall, a hand on my throat. "Tell me what you're planning or you'll miss the next couple centuries." He threatened lowly.

"Always threatening the dagger husband" I tutted "if you're not careful you'll push everyone away" calm was the way to win an argument with Nik, and it seems Elijah and I are the only ones who've realized that in the many years we've been alive.

"Are you sure that's your answer?" He questioned me, my dark eyes meeting his light ones.

I swallowed, I had too many secrets, ones Nik wouldn't be very happy about. If I told him, I'd be in a bloody display case the rest of eternity, a dagger sticking out of my chest. I shook my head as best I could, an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach, twisting its way around.

"Nik" I looked at him "now what could I possibly be hiding from you?" I rose an eyebrow. "we've only been separated for a century, you know me as well as I know you"

"We'll see" he stepped back, allowing me some breathing room. "If I find out you're involved in anything that's been happening.."

"I know I know, my best friend will be a dagger, can I go to sleep now?" I questioned.

He nodded, and I exited the room, releasing a breath of relief. I pulled out my phone to text Hayley who was still in the bayou.

'I'd come back soon, Klaus is suspicious'

The message was sent, so I opened my door, throwing my heels in the general direction of the closet, and slipping into a shirt I'd stolen from Nik, instead of staying in the formal dress I'd been in.

Face clear of make-up, I slipped under my covers, falling asleep quickly after.