5. BRAIN FART

Turning away from the window I ring the bell beside the door of my house.

Opening the door my mom tells me with a grin, "Ved and his parents are here.", and winks subtly before letting me in.

Holding back an eye roll, I go inside and see Ved, his mother and his father sitting on a couch in our living room.

I greet them with a 'Hi' and 'How are you?' without meeting Ved's eyes even once.

I make my way near my mom and whisper, "Ma, I'm sweaty and stinky. I'll go shower and be back."

"Yeah probably a good idea if you don't want anyone to die here." She teases as I make my way to my room.

After a shower I change into sweats and t-shirt—I've never been one to care about dressing—and get out of my room when I bump into someone.

Rubbing my forehead I look up to see Ved looking down at me.

"We really should stop doing this." He muses.

"Yeah. What are you doing here anyway?"

"You're mom told me to check on you and call you if you were ready."

"Okay, but what are you doing in my house in the first place?"

"I didn't change my school just for the JEE program. It was partially because we were moving to a new place too, so..."

"But that doesn't explain why you are in my house..." I urge.

"Well, my new place is right on this floor, three houses down..." He trails away expecting me to understand.

And understand I did.

"We should probably go." He stated smugly at my speechless expression.

Without a word I made my way with him to the living room.

I found my mom and his parents laughing at something when we reached the living room.

"Hey, I'm going to head out with them, show around the apartment and the Owner's Association members and I've kept the foo—"

"Yeah, yeah Ma. I know where you keep the food. I'll take care." I interrupt my mom as she stood up with Ved's parents to 'head out'.

"Okay then. Have fun you two!"

"Oka— wait, 'you two'?"

"Yeah, since Ved's house is not yet completely unpacked he'll stay here for dinner. We already had the dinner since we gotta go now. Anyways, bye. Be safe." My mom elaborates and leaves before I could speak something.

"Mind if I look around?" Ved asks me after a few seconds of silence.

"No. Not at all." I reply back and he goes to one of the shelves on the walls that held my mother's achievements and mine.

"You're mom got the black belt?" He asks, surprised.

"Yeah. Those days are over though. But she can beat me up real well, I'll give her that." I tell him, chuckling as I remember one of the many moments when I made a very big mistake that made her very angry and she beat me up.

After that she went to her room and cried to herself for doing it.

"Wow! I never took her for the strict type."

"Nah. She isn't strict. Just...how do I say this? She puts me in my place if I do something really really wrong. Otherwise it's just friendly bickering between both of us." I explain.

He hummed and started looking at my General Proficiency and All-rounder awards.

"Why am I surprised?" he mutters and continues, "Are there any more showcases that I might be allowed to see?"