Betrayal

Chapter 3

Arcelia

I ran to the one place that held the promise of silence and comfort. I ran to my room, typing in the pass code and curling up against the wall.

He’d just finished running more tests, telling me I was free to leave. I’d wanted to walk out, but my feet darted out the room, giving me no control as they ran straight into my one comfort place.

After a few seconds of hyperventilating, my breathing became less ragged. I felt exhausted, both physically and mentally, and within the next minute I was asleep.

I was awoken by a rush of air as I heard the door making its signature noise, signaling His arrival.

"Sweetheart, are you okay?" He asked with his soft voice. It was bitterly sweet; taunting me about how no matter how much I cared for Him, He would only continue to hurt me.

"Sweetheart, I'm sorry. But we’re helping people, remember?” He said coming over to me but I crawled away making Him stop.

"I said I’m sorry Arcelia. But we can’t just stop, not when there are so many lives at risk." He sighed, sounding tired. I'd be tired too if I had to constantly explain to someone that their pain was for the better good, no matter how much it hurt.

"Do you forgive me?" He asked quietly, sounding regretful. Did He mean it?

"You're the most important person in my life. Don’t let this change that. You remember when I gave you that duck? Or how about that time I gave you my dessert? Did you know I could get fired for giving you that? They don’t want any experiments to get fat.” I slowly looked at Him and saw Him give me a smile that usually made my heart thud but all it did was slice through me.

I didn’t reply at first, because none of that made me feel better. He was still hurting me to the point where I wanted to crawl into a ball and never come back. But then I began to think of all the other things He did for me too. He would let me watch TV occasionally with Him, or let me walk around with Him as He did his duties. That had to count for something.

"I forgive you." I whispered reluctantly and saw His smile widen so wide that it made me want to smile back. I didn’t smile, because  the urge to look away overpowered the urge to smile. He’d still hurt me, after all. I didn’t want to get punished again so I compromised by staring back at him.

"Thank you sweetheart. Come here." He coaxed, opening His arms. I forced myself into them, cringing and wishing they could give me the same comfort that this room did.

He held me for several minutes. I spent the whole time wondering whether He was going to continue hurting me.

"What's wrong Arcelia?" He asked, pulling me back so I met His brown eyes.

"Are we seeing Varian?" I asked, trying to divert his attention. I was saddened to see His eyes light up at the thought of his other Experiment.

"Yeah. He's been asking to see you again. Whatever you did last time worked sweetheart. I'll be watching this time, waiting for you to leave. We can run some more tests afterwards." He said and I flinched inwardly, but nodded outwardly.

He took my hand and led me to Experiment Varian's room where Varian was sitting on the white bed, giving the thick glass his hardest glare, waiting for it to shatter.

I stared back at him for a while before typing in the code and going into his room.

Varian

I couldn't think of a single way to get out and it was killing every speck of hope in me. I wanted to kill everyone in here, especially the guy who hurt Arcelia.