1

(Davanee) [Dah-von-ee]

I popped my earphones in as I walked to school. The first day back was yesterday and I had the chance to reconnect with my friend group. The same loud, bold and no filter having ass group that still manages to be fun at times.

When I got to school, I headed straight to first period since I managed to be late. I found my seat in the very back with Amani and Rio.

"Hol on. Davanee's ass is late to school?" Rio whispered as I sat down.

Amani chuckled. "Right. Sis, why is you late today? You're never late."

I turned around to look at her and shrugged. "I was walking slow."

"Yeah, aight," Rio scoffed.

I turned back around and took my pen out of my bag.

"What are we working on?" I asked Rio who sat to the left of me.

"She goin over the summer homework," he answered.

"Oh ok," I said then I took my folder out of my bag.

"Ms. Taylor, not only did you come in late, you decided to engage in conversation with others?" I heard my math teacher ask causing a few kids to look back at me.

"She wasn't talking, that was me," I heard Amani say.

"It doesn't matter who it was. I don't wanna hear anymore talking," the teacher said while shaking her head.

When she got back to the lesson, I looked back at Amani and gave her a small smile. She smiled back in return.

After 2 minutes of me trying to catch up with the lesson, the door opened and a few heads(including mine)popped up to see who it was.

In walked the vice principal with someone following behind him. It was a tall male. He was light skinned with some nice pair of eyes. He was wearing a black Kappa tracksuit and had on a pair of black Yeezys.

"Who dat?" I heard Rio ask.

I shrugged and continued to eye the kid. The vice principal exchanged a few words with our teacher before he left without the student.

Is he new? I haven't seen him here before.

Our teacher then talked to the boy and pointed somewhere in my direction. He nodded at her before he came walking, taking the empty seat to the right of me.

I glanced over at him again for a quick second before I got back to my work.

He kinda cute.

3 Hours After

"Have y'all seen the new kid? He's like Mega lightskin,"  Nina said as all of us sat at our regular lunch table outside.

"Forget that. The nigga was deadass dripped out, I seen him in second period," Jay said.

"He's fine as hell but he ion think he talk..." Amani put her cents in.

"I'm sure he does, he probably just hasn't found anyone to talk to yet," I say.

The two girls looked in my direction.

"...Amani, I juss peeped what you just say... shut the fuck up. Where's Darnell?" Rio asked.

"Who the fuck you think you talkin to, nigga?" Amani asked him in a high pitched voice.

"You cause you over there soundin fast as f-"

I tuned out their growing argument.

Where is Darnell? He's always the first one at the table by lunch time. Did he come today?

"What's for lunch?" I asked Nina.

"Pizza dippers," she answered.

"Oh Ok. Ima be right back," I got up and made my way to the lunch line.

Once I got my food, I started walking back to the table and on my way, I seen a surprise. Darnell was finally at the table but he was there with a guest—the new kid.

"Aye, Nee! Hurry up!" Darnell gestured for me to come over.

When I made it there, I sat down and set my tray down in front of me.

"Nee, dis my boy Ace right here. Ace dis is Davanee but we call her Nee," Darnell introduces us.

He sent me a nod and I sent him a slight wave before I got to eating.

"Ace go ahead and pop a squat. Lunch ain't gon be over yet, we still got thirty minutes left," Jay said.

I popped my earphones in and got the book I was reading currently out. Listening to some SZA while reading and eating is my relaxation method at the moment.

After a few minutes, my 'relaxation' came to an end. Someone pulled out my left earphone. My head shot up to see who it was.

"What?" I asked Rio in an irritated tone.

"Damn, I just wanted to know if you was gon eat ya fruit..."

I grabbed my orange and handed it to him before I put my earphone back in.

Soon enough lunch ended and we all had to head to our fourth period. I was the first one to get up, I threw away my trash then headed inside.

Instinctively, I looked back and I seen Ace trailing behind me. I ignored him and just kept walking.

When I pulled up to class, I found my seat way in the back. After I got settled in, I looked to my left to see Ace sitting down, looking at me.

"What?" I asked him.

"I ain't say nothin," he shrugged.

Oh ok, I got back to taking my pen out of my pencil case.

"Why you friends wit them?" I heard him ask causing me to look over at him again.

"What? Friends with who?"

"Darnell and em. Why you hang out wit them? You seem quiet..."

"They're my friends. Despite how different I am from them, we get along just fine," I shrugged.

"Thas cute," he sent me a smirk.

"...ok," I looked away.

"What was your name again?"

"Davanee."

"I'm Ace. Ace Laurent."

[End of 1]
Hey y'all, I think I'm back.🥱

🥱