13 ☆ muggles

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MUGGLES

"'i don't,' draco starts, stammering slightly

"'i don't,' draco starts, stammering slightly. 'i don't hate them, you know? muggles. i really don't.'"

☆☆☆

"How'd you like it?" Katie asks at dinner, referring to the book.

"It was good," Eunbyeol answers honestly.  "Enlightening, even."

"Enlightening," Lee scoffs while shoveling pot roast onto his plate. He had entered at Great Hall with a smug smile on his face and two awestruck Weasley twins in tow. "How can a book be enlightening?"

"By reading it and understanding its message, Lee," Eunbyeol replies dryly. "I get that it's a hard concept for you to grasp though. You need to be able to read, first."

Lee drops his forkful of pot roast back onto his plate in shock while the others stifle their laughter. "The Eunbyeol Moon I know would never attack my intelligence like that," Lee protests. "In fact, she'd think I was the smartest, fittest man on the planet, then fall in love with me and—ow!"

"Knock it off, mate," George rolls his eyes.

Anthony smirks at George before saying, "Well, it was rather enlightening. We were talking about it and found a lot of real world similarities in the book. Like how we think the Ministry sent Umbridge is trying the brainwash the youth of Hogwarts into compliance and that our government is eventually going to collapse into a totalitarian regime." He says the last part rather blandly, as if he were commenting on the weather.

The others stare at him blankly. "Yeah," Eunbyeol agrees weakly. "That did come up."

"Can you two, like," Terry frowns, "Explain?"

So they do. Eunbyeol launches into a long winded explanation about the plot of Nineteen Eighty-Four, with Anthony interjecting commentary every so often, and her theory about the government. "So, that's that," she finishes. "It's a good thing Harry and Hermione and Ron are doing what they're doing."

There's a varying range of reactions from her friends. Angelina's uncharacteristically somber, as is Lee and Fred. Terry looks dubious, and George is just watching her with a bemused smile. Katie, interestingly enough, looks a bit smug. "I knew you'd like it," she murmurs. "Knew it."

At breakfast the next day, there's a notice going around Hogwarts. Educational Decree Twenty-Four, created by Umbridge, bans the activity of all clubs and sports teams. Angelina is absolutely distraught at the idea of having to ask for approval for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team, while Terry, a devout member of the Dueling Club, is put out by the notion of not having clubs anymore. Eunbyeol simply curls her lip in a look of pure disgust. "Knew it," she mutters. "She's absolutely wretched." She spends most of breakfast stewing in silence, much to the dismay of the twins, who want to talk about perfecting their products.