XXIV. For The Greater Good

Back on the lower floor, Millicent skillfully and easily dodged each of Leroy's attacks with his battle axes. He tried firing ice beams, forcing Millicent to run down the hall and barrel roll around the corner, as the beams froze over a good portion of the wall and doors in black ice.

Leroy took a moment to catch his breath, then started making his way to the corner, grinding his axes together, not noticing Jace and Lena dropping down into the hallway through the hole in the ceiling.

"Hold it!" Lena shouted.
Leroy stopped and turned around, his eyes narrowing.
"It's an insult if you think you children can actually beat me," he scowled.
"Then feel insulted," Lena retorted.
Leroy turned and threw both axes at the two young Gifted, both diving to the floor as the axes twirled over their heads and got stuck in the floor behind them before dissipating.
Lena bounced back up and pushed another massive tidal wave towards him. It covered the entire hallway, leaving no room to avoid it.
Leroy back-flipped a few feet, then shot two ice beams forward. They hit the wave, freezing it solid into thick, black ice.
Lena blinked when she saw this, as did Jace.

Leroy looked up at what was now a giant ice wall dividing the entire hallway.
He then heard footsteps from behind him, and turned, eyes widening.

Millicent stood behind him, holding an ice scythe in one hand, and a frozen, broken GR collar in the other.
"What?!" he exclaimed, "That's- that's impossible!"
"You don't know what's possible, Leroy," Millicent retorted.
Leroy began to back up, sweat starting to bead down the side of his face.
He looked to the side, noticing the untouched ring of keys lying on the floor near the wall.

The sound of ice cracking behind him also got his attention. Turning around, he noticed a crack growing bigger and bigger in the center of the frozen wave of water.
Millicent then ran up behind him and swung the scythe.
Leroy heard it at the last minute and ducked just as the scythe passed over him.
Millicent followed it up with a swift kick in the back, knocking him into the frozen wave.
Leroy spun around, forming a black ice sword as he did, and swung it up against Millicent's scythe.
As the two clashed weapons on their side of the wall, Jace was zapping a continuous bolt of lightning into the ice, slowly chipping away at it from his and Lena's side.

"This is taking too long!" Lena exclaimed.
Jace didn't reply for a moment, focusing on his lightning.
"Technically," he said, "Isn't it still your water? Just frozen into ice? Can't you just... get rid of it?"
Lena blinked, and put a hand to her chin, thinking about it.
"I-," she started, "I... guess...?"
She then looked to the wall and snapped her fingers.
Nothing happened.
She sighed, "Couldn't you just teleport us over there?"
"Oh..." Jace paused, "Yeah...?"
He stopped his attack and held out a hand.
Lena took it firmly, and Jace teleported them both to the other side of the ice wall, just in time to see Millicent sweeping Leroy off his feet, onto the floor, and holding the scythe's blade to his throat.

"Whoa," Jace said, in awe.
"Where's Dai??" Lena asked.
"I sent him down to the back door," Millicent said, "It's just further downstairs on the first floor. Catch up with him and make sure he's safe."
Lena and Jace nodded, and ran off towards the staircase.

Leroy chuckled, "I know what you're trying to have them do. You're trying to destroy this place."
"To ensure you and your people never hurt Nagahama, or anyone else, ever again," Millicent said.
Leroy just chuckled, "You'll have to kill me first."
Millicent paused, then slammed the side of his head with the bladeless end of the scythe's head, knocking him out momentarily.

"No," she said, "I won't."

❄️

Dai limped down to the first floor, eyes still glowing. He quickly dashed into the nearest room whenever a warrior or two run by, sneaking back out once the coast was clear.
Up ahead, he saw a door that looked different from the others. It had a window and was made of metal, with snow spread out around it in the floor.

"Okay..." he groaned, continuing towards it, staying close to the wall as his healing slowly healed up his numerous cuts, "Nearly... there..."

❄️

Back in Nagahama, an all out battle was raging outside the police station. Kai was shooting fire left, right, and center at the warriors while Luke jumped in the air with a rock hammer, slamming it down on the asphalt, leaving a crater and mimicking seismic quakes upon impact.

Aria threw water balls and spears at any close warrior, while Ryū and Bushida blasted fire and air.
The warriors were becoming overwhelmed, and Nylas noticed. He quickly stepped back, and ran back inside the station.
"Nylas is getting away!" Kai shouted, noticing him run inside.
"Go after him!" Ryū ordered, "We're handling things out here."
"I'm coming with you," Hunter said, running over.
Kai grunted in annoyance, "Fine. Let's go."

The two boys hurried inside as the battle raged on outside.
One ice warrior snuck behind Aria, and ran at her with an ice knife. Aria was too preoccupied pushing tidal waves at a nearby grouping of warriors to notice. The warrior had just gotten close enough behind her, when a fireball smacked him to the ground, singeing his tunic.

Aria turned, hearing the noise behind her, and looked to the left to see the kids she and the others saw playing in the streets accompanied by Chiasa.
The warrior begrudgingly sat up, feeling his tunic, when he noticed the fire Gifted kid that hit him.
"Tobio...?" he said.
The child, Tobio, blinked.
"Takeda?" he said back.
The warrior pulled his hood and scarf off, revealing his face.
Tobio formed tears in his eyes, then a defiant look crossed his face as he took a stance, fire engulfing his arms.
The warrior, Takeda, looked sadly at the boy, and Aria saw this.

She shook her head at Takeda, who looked up at her.
Takeda took a moment, a brave look on his face, before standing up.

Another warrior snuck up behind Aria, only for Luke to run up and kick her away. Aria turned around, and smiled when she noticed him.
"'Sup," he smiled.
The two returned their attention to the warrior Luke kicked, who got up, grunting in annoyance.

She formed an ice sword and charged at them, only for Takeda to stand between them, clashing her ice sword with one of his own. The two struggled against each other for a moment, until Takeda took a hand and ice beamed her at point blank range, freezing her over solid.
He looked back at Aria, and smiled, then looked over at the child, Tobio, and smiled at him.

"Nice," Luke nodded, catching on.
"This fight isn't over yet," Aria reminded, "Let's hope Kai and Hunter are enough to stop that Nylas."