Biana's Gala- Part 1

Sleep? What was sleep? How to sleep? Sleeping was impossible at this time, but I knew that I had to, or else I might risk dark circles over my eyes at my Winnowing Gala, which just could NOT happen. 

Tossing and turning in the room that us girls used for sleepovers, I whispered to my friends, who were sleeping all around me. Sophie on the other bed across the room, and Linh and Marella together on a huge mattress on the ground. 

"Guys! My gala is tomorrow! I'm freaking out! Guys?" 

I looked over the side of the bed and found all my friends sound asleep. What time was it? I checked my clock on the wall and saw that it was...two a.m? Already? Why did the time go so quickly? 

I tip-toed out of the room and into the boy's bedroom, ignoring all of them due to the fact that I knew Keefe slept naked, (due to an.... unfortunate situation) and reached into Dex's bag and pulled out a bottle. 

Sleeping drought. 

I knew Dex always kept it in his bag because sometimes he had trouble sleeping. I took the bottle back to my room, and took a small swig of it before setting it on the nightstand. Suddenly, my mind felt woozy and my gaze blurred and the last thing I remembered was collapsing onto the bed, trying to pull the blankets over me, before my gaze went black. 

"BIANA!!! IT'S MORNING IT'S MORNING WAKE UP WAKE UP IT'S THE MORNING OF YOUR GALA CAN YOU HEAR ME?! BIANAAAAAA!" 

I woke up to Marella's shrieking voice and was jostled awake by her hands on my shoulders. "Huh?" I asked groggily. 

"It's the day of your gala sleepyhead!" Marella said. "And we're supposed to help you get ready! Decorating and preparing has already begun downstairs! Linh and Sophie went to help and left me the job of helping you wake up." She shrugged and looked proud. "I think I did a pretty good job." 

"OH MY GOD!" My sleepy mind had finally processed what was happening. "MY GALA! IT'S TODAY!"

 "YES!" Marella said and we did a little squeal together.  

"This is the day I choose my future partner for possibly forever," I said, suddenly realizing the grave importance of the event. 

"Don't be so down!" Marella said. "Come on! We have to get you ready!" 

Marella lead me to my closet and I picked out a "casual" dress with gold embroidery on white silk that hung down past my knees, and pulled on a pale golden cape and white ankle boots to complete the look. I placed the Vacker crest firmly on my bodice, and took a deep breath before turning to the vanity. My hands shook so badly that my eyeliner wasn't even on both sides, and I gave up trying to put on mascara. 

Marella held my arm tightly as we walked down the huge staircase down into the ballroom. My mouth fell open when I saw the transformations that were happening. 

Mom was standing in the middle of the room staring down at a clipboard barking orders around at people. Everyone thought the Dad was the boss of the family, but anyone who actually knew us knew that it was all Mom. 

Fitz was standing at the very top of a huge ladder trying to change the lights out on the roof and replace it with the huge rose gold chandelier I had picked, with thousands of tiny crystals. We would have used telekinesis to lift it, but the whole thing was so delicate and so hard to attach that we decided we couldn't, so Fitz had been nominated for the task. I was actually kind of amazed he was even holding it. It was about three times wider and taller than him. 

Keefe was holding the ladder, which was wobbling precariously. Keefe didn't seem very concerned by this though, so I decided I wouldn't be either. I turned around and saw Dex working on hooking up some cords, and talking with four guys in black suits that looked like bodyguards, although I knew they were only there for music work.