1. The Forbidden City

The photo I used as the chapter cover is Jiao Wei during the selection.
The photo I used it's not mine, credit to the rightful owner.

Jiao Wei was waiting patiently her turn for the Emperor's Harem selection. She was called a week ago by a decree stating that every marriageable-age Lady from, at least, a third-rank clan need to come to be selected for the Imperial Harem.

Jiao Wei wasn't the only one in her family to be called, also her half-sister Ling Wei was participating.

Ling Wei was the oldest miss in the Wei household, she was always spoiled by her mother, the second fei [1] of their father.
The duo always dreamed about begin the legitimate daughter and wife, but since that would be impossible, they want to try to gain power in the Imperial Harem.

So, after the Emperor sent the decree, Lin Wei spent the past week in her personal chamber with maids and servants helping her with skincare and lessons such as: etiquette, serving the tea and embroidering.

After a while, it was Ling Wei turn for the selection. Jiao Wei was after her, so she waited patiently and chatted with the other misses.

This was the last procedure of selection, in the last hours every misses had to demonstrate their talents in the presence of the mamas[2].

Finally, Ling Wei returned with a smirk that ruined her innocent face "MeiMei[3], I'm now a First-Class Female Attendant, you need to bow to me from now on".

"JieJie[4] is right, but now It's time for me to do the last selection,If you would excuse me". Jiao Wei bowed to her sister, she knew that since she was not the legitimate daughter of the Wei Clan, she will not enter the Harem as a Noble Lady[5] It would be the first and last time she bows to her hated half-sister.

Then, the eunuch of the emperor announced the next misses that need to do the last exam, begin presented to the Emperor and the Empress Dowager.

Jiao Wei along other four misses, followed the eunuch and when they were in front of the Dragon[6] , all of them bowed. "This subject greets the Emperor and the Empress Dowager, May them live thousands years"

Then, another eunuch said all the names, the last but not least begin Jiao Wei. "Jiao Wei, Daughter of the Minister of Rites, second-class Duke".

"Emperor, I heard that the youngest miss of the Wei Household is elegant as a peony and talent like her brother" said the Empress Dowager.

The Emperor knew that the Main Wife of the Wei Household was from the same maiden clan as the Empress Dowager, the Yu Clan.
He understands her intentions, but he admits to himself that Miss Wei is really elegant and beautiful, he believes that she is also talented.

You see, the Wei Household is always recognized for the talents that in every generation are born, so its not strange to have in court always a minister or a scholar that is related to the Wei Clan.

"Miss Wei do you know how to read?" asked the eunuch in behalf of the Empress Dowager.

"This subject studied 'Virtues of Women' and Etiquette" said Jiao Wei bowing.

"Empress Mother is right. It's great that she studied what a women should do, also her name does justice to her. This emperor will garant her the fifth-rank Noble Lady"

After Jiao Wei heard that, she immediately bowed "Pin Qie[7] thanks the Emperor and the Empress Dowager, may they live thousands years".

"To the other misses, bestow the flowers[8]" said the head eunuch.