book 2 - chapter 3

"Unalaq is so infuriating!" I vent at Iroh as we're walking through the colorfully lit passageway of the festival. Mako, Bolin, and Korra are a few steps forward, talking to each other. We'd usually walk at the same pace as them, but I'm angry, and Iroh is the only one that understands me at all lately. "So snooty, so condescending, so annoying."

"Not to mention his weird hero complex." Iroh adds, agreeing with my words as he nods his head. "It's very annoying and I've known the guy for, like, less than a day."

"Exactly! Thank you!" I exclaim as I feel some weight lifted off my chest. "I can't believe Korra wants him to be her teacher instead of Tenzin."

Iroh sighs as he watches the snow we walk on. "Maybe you should talk to her about it? Give her some guidance?"

I shake my head. "She's so stubborn. It'd probably end with us fighting."

"Aren't you already kind of fighting, though?" He presses. "At least, to me, it's clear that you're upset with her."

"I'll think about it." I say, but only to drop the subject. It's obvious that he's right, as he usually is, but I don't feel like dealing with us when I already have plenty of family drama on my plate.

We continue walking in silence, and my complete attention is on the snow. Whenever I'm not feeling my best emotionally, it always calms me down and helps me think. I'm so engrossed in it that I completely tune out all the noise around me, it's only the white fluffy snow and my complex thoughts.

Until I crash into someone and fall on my butt.

I groan in pain as I look to see that Mako is on the ground next to me, indicating that he's the person that I bumped into.

"Hey, watch where—" Mako begins but halts as soon as his eyes land on mine. "Oh, Luna, it's you."

"Sorry." I immediately say as I scramble to stand up and reach my hand out for him to grab. He does so, and I feel a tingle at the touch of his skin that I haven't felt in weeks. It feels foreign yet familiar.

He offers me a small smile. "Back at it again with the clumsiness, huh, ice girl?" He teases with a slight smirk. Korra immediately grabs his hand and looks lovingly at her boyfriend, then back to me.

"You good?" She queries, an unreadable expression plastered on her face.

"Fine." I answer almost immediately, avoiding meeting her eyes.

At my snap response, she eyes me weirdly, then turns her attention to Iroh who is standing on my right. "General Iroh, it's so nice to see you again. Especially since we're finally in a friendly, non-war threatening environment. Did Luna invite you?"

He chuckles. "The honor is all mine, Avatar Korra. And yes, yes she did."

"That's nice." She comments, then makes direct eye-contact with me. "She hadn't told me."

"We haven't really talked since you left." I comment pointedly, which results in Iroh nudging me.

Korra looks at me sternly but doesn't reply, leaving the four of us in a few moments of awkward silence. I know that it's wrong of me to just snap at her when I could have a mature conversation with her about how much it hurt me that she just left when I needed her, but I'm so pissed off that I honestly don't feel like it. She'll just have to wait for me to be less angry at the subject matter. And I'm not even sure myself of when that'll be.

"Why don't we play some carnival games?" Mako suddenly suggests, breaking the tension. "They look like fun."

Iroh clears his throat. "I agree. Luna?"