- 1 6 5 - A TALK WITH PERCY

DUMBLEDORE WAS DEAD

DUMBLEDORE WAS DEAD.

Lorelei held her stomach firmly while her other hand was holding George's when the funeral for the brilliant wizard commenced. The boy wore a black dragon-skin suit for the occasion, Fred sitting next to Embry who sat on Lorelei's left; Fred wore the same suit.

George was livid, downright pissed off at Lorelei for not hiding away the night Dumbledore died for the sake of the baby, but Lorelei didn't care. She couldn't. As he sat on her right, hand gripping hers, she knew he would push aside his anger for that day.

He was still there for the girl as she wept over Dumbledore's death. The bearded man had come into her life at eleven-years-old, almost demanding Amatheia to send Lorelei to Hogwarts. Without Dumbledore, Lorelei wouldn't have discovered so much about herself and her blood. Without Dumbledore, Lorelei wouldn't be the mermaid she was. She wouldn't be sitting here with George, Embry, or Fred without the old wizard. She wouldn't have met Harry, Sirius, or Remus. Lorelei owed her life to Dumbledore no matter how pissed he made her some days.

Embry wrapped himself around Lorelei's arm, not really crying but not happy either. He was a fifteen-year-old boy who had seen far too much for his age, much like Harry and Draco... much like all of them. Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George... they had all suffered so much. Lorelei was ready to fight. She was ready to fight for her child that was growing more and more everyday to not have to live in a world ruled by Voldemort.

At the end of the funeral, Lorelei saw Harry walk away from Ginny briskly, Rufus Scrimgeour following him. Looking from where Rufus was walking from, she saw Percy Weasley standing as bold as brass. He had visited the Burrow for Christmas, not even looking once at the twins, much less Lorelei. She stood up, then, releasing George's hand and muttered that she would be right back. George, who had not spoke a word to her after their yelling match a few days prior, only nodded.

Lorelei walked up to Percy, whose eyes widened at her appearance. "A word, Mr. Weasley?" she sneered, watching as other Ministry officials gasped at her rudeness. She allowed her eyes to darken when one man shook his head in shame at her protruding stomach. Percy nodded after a gulp and followed her off to the side a bit.

"I want you to listen to me, and listen well, Percy," Lorelei started, a hand resting on her bump. "Your family has begun to accept the fact that you're a right, foul git, but I haven't. I love you just as I love Ron and Ginny, but you have been awful these last few years when your family needed you most. I can't say I understand why you're acting the way you are, but I know how persuading the Ministry can act. See, Rufus over there? Trying to make Harry spill Dumbledore's secrets at his funeral? That's wrong. One day, Percy Weasley, you're going to come crawling back, and you know, it might just be too late. I haven't given up on you, don't make me regret telling you this," she finished with a huff, eyes tearing up because of the excess hormones.

Percy frowned before looking away. He bit his lip before nodding. "Tell Mum I love her, will you?"

"Tell her yourself, Perce," Lorelei whispered. "We need to stay united. Voldemort is going to try and kill us either way."

"Don't say that," he hissed, eyes filling with guilt and shame.

"But it's true. You'd rather watch your family die knowing you lost them long before that? Because we'll be at the front lines when this war happens, I can promise you that," Lorelei said fiercly, proud to be a part of the Weasley family. She was proud of how much love the Weasley family had. "Do you remember? Back in my third year? Ron had just started school, and it was Christmas. We all stayed, ate together, and had a large snowball fight with Harry and the twins? I miss you, Perce. I miss the Percy who would gladly let me get on his back to protect me from an ambush of snowballs," she said with a laugh. She noticed a tear fall from Percy's eye.

"I miss you, too, Lorelei," he whispered back. He then glanced at her stomach. "I'm going to have a niece or nephew, am I?"

"You are... I'd really appreciate it if it had his or her's awesome Uncle Percy around," she said, smiling when he reached out to touch her stomach. Before he could, Rufus called his name roughly.

Percy winced, backing away with a shake of his head. "I'm sorry, Lorelei. Tell them I'm sorry." Then, he left her there alone.

Looking down at her bump again, she turned to see Harry already staring at her, along with the rest of the Weasley family. Choosing to ignore the questions she knew she'd receive, she walked up to Harry. He quickly pulled her into a hug, deciding she needed it more than ever.

"Harry?" she asked in his shoulder. "Harry, I know Dumbledore left you a job, a mission. I know you won't tell me anything... I trust you, but just please, please be careful. Don't let me lose another person, not you."

"I'm always careful," he joked into her hair. Backing away, he smiled and lifted a hand to her cheek to wipe away a tear. "Don't worry, please--"

"I-Is there anything I can do?" she asked.

"If there was, I wouldn't hesitate to ask you," Harry promised, actually meaning it. Lorelei was the one person he trusted most in the world, after all.