42: Zaofu's end (short chapter)

"Aunt Su, Wing, and Wei went to put an end to Kuvira, but they were captured. Kuvira promised she wouldn't attack until Korra and I met her at dawn to discuss the terms of surrender. I was panicking, what if something happened to Aunt Su and I couldn't save her, I'd never forgive myself." 

At dawn, Jinora, Opal, Ally, and Korra went to talk to Kuvira. Su, Wing, and Wei were in platinum holding containers that revealed their faces only, behind them stood Kuvira's entire army. As the four young women walked up to the dictator, Opal demanded the release of her mother. 

"If Su will release Zaofu into my custody, she won't be harmed," Kuvira said. 

"No!" Su yelled. "I will NEVER give up Zaofu!" 

Kuvira refused to lay out any other terms, so Korra had to make a hard decision. She chose to fight Kuvira one on one. Ally, Jinora, and Opal stood back while the two women fought it out. Kuvira was a skilled fighter, proficient in metal and earthbending, she barely broke a sweat fighting the Avatar. Korra got knocked down again and again by this strong woman. They kept battling, Kuvira almost beating her lazily, the other girls tried to help but Korra sent them back, not wanting to risk anyone else's safety. Ally jumped in front of Kuvira and took a defensive stance in front of her friend. 

"I'm the avatar too," she snarled. 

She put her fists in front of her, her police armor glinting in the sunlight. "It's still one on one, so let's go." She engaged Kuvira until Korra went into the  Avatar state and took over, throwing the dictator back. Using air, she sent Kuvira flying, and just as she was about to finish it, she saw a vision of herself last time she fought. She fell down to her knees and got thrown back into the earth, and knocked out. The Airbender kids and Ally shot Kuvira back before she could hurt Korra further, and created a vortex of air so no one could come near them. Ally and Opal kept them back while Jinorah used her spirit projection to call for help. Ally went into the avatar state and made a wall of earth to protect them while Ikki and Meelo used Pepper to get them out. Everyone got onto the sky bison and they flew off into the sky. Ally and Opal watched as Su shrunk into the distance and they wanted to go back. 

"Opal, Ally go!" Su yelled from the floor. "We're going to be okay."

"We're going to come back!" Ally shouted. "We won't leave you." Zaofu was taken by Kuvira and turned into another pawn in her game.