03 - Bet

"...negative then we use the absolute value for A to have a nonnegative value for our area." Mr. Papa's voice drifted like a faint static.

You tried to force your attention to the teacher's lecture as you scribble down the equations on the notebook laid in front of you. "This is boring," you muttered under your breath, chin rested on the palm of your hand. "It hasn't been afternoon and I'm dying already." Placing your other free hand over your mouth, you let out a soft yawn

Your classmates looked like they weren't interested as well judging by their bored expressions. Since you were seated at the very end of the room, it was easy for you to see that there were a few people who were dozing off to sleep. Mr. Papa was too attentive on writing on the blackboard to even notice them.

Back to the case, one of the people sleeping was Api, who unfortunately just happened to sit right next you. His back was slouched in a way he could rest his head above his crossed forearms that were on the table. He was facing in your direction that you could see his saliva drooping from the corner of his lips. His seat was only a meter away from yours, yet you could hear a loud snore coming from him.

After the occurrence you had encountered with the boy, both of you had managed to find what you've been looking for just when you were on the verge of nearly catching him. Luckily, you only missed half an hour of the previous class and your near-absence didn't cause any trouble to Miss Robinson.

"Oh whatever, at least he's not bothering me now," your mind recollected back to when Api kept trying to make conversations with you during the English subject. Since you were still a bit pissed at him for making you go through that little adventure, the only thing you did back at the time was to ignore him and instead focus on something else.

"That's it for now. Tomorrow, I will be giving out a quiz. It will cover the textbook on chapter three, pages from eighteen to twenty. Make sure to study well tonight and review the discussion. Any questions?" Mr. Papa asked as began to pile up some sheets into a folder he was holding.

"No," the students said in unison.

When the man had left the room, you stretched out all four of your limbs to release the stiffness in your body and to give more space for your legs under the table. Finally.

"Is it over...?" Api stirred from his nap which caused you to look at the boy. He lifted his head, rubbing one of his eyelids while looking for any sign if the teacher's presence was still here. When it was confirmed that the older man already left, he straightened his back so he was sitting evenly at your eye level.

"Yeah, it is. We also have a quiz tomorrow," you replied. "You should have paid attention to Mr. Papa."

"I'm not worrying about that. I'll ace it anyways!" He happily declared. This left you staring at him for a couple of seconds of silence before you released a laugh that made him question your amusement. "What?"

You coughed to stop yourself from laughing and once you regained your composition, you explained to him, "Pfft, sorry. From what I observed from you, you don't look like someone who studies," you teased. "I doubt you'll ace it."

"E...Eh?! You don't believe me? Well, you'll see!" He declared. "Even if I won't get a full mark, I bet I'll get higher scores than you."

"Oh, you're challenging me?" ゴ ゴ ゴ

"Yeah!" he answered.

"Fine, then. I'm not into math and I'm not into studying, but I won't let you get away going high and almighty. I'll definitely beat you tomorrow. Take it as a payback for what you did earlier."

"You're still upset about that? I already said I'm sorry."

"Yeah, yeah." You stood up from your seat and walked away from him, with the boy standing up as well when you got near the exit of the room.