Climbing The Ladder

Hey guy's! I just wanted to say a huge thank you for your support, votes and comments!! On the last chapter I saw a lot of my long time reader's who haven't commented in awhile comment!!! I loved hearing from you and I'm thrilled that you are still reading about the Harper's!! Made my day!! Also I seen a few new people comment! Thanks! I

It was near three in the morning before I staggered into my place smelling like liquor, smoke and cheap perfume. I was so drunk that it didn't cross my mind to erase the scent of other women off of me before I returned home. All I wanted to do was crawl in bed and pass out.

My hope was that Zoe had long ago went to bed instead of waiting up for me but luck wasn't on my side. No sooner than I opened the door did I hear her sharp, accusing voice. "Where have you been?"

Turning toward her I gave her a drunken smile. "Working".

" Bullshit. I've checked the Den. You're drunk. I was worried. Anything could have happened with you being who you are. Judging by your appearance I'd say you went out partying ". She spat.

Not in the mood to do this now I said. "Look, we will talk about it tomorrow. I'm a wreck and need to sleep".

Not waiting to hear a reply I slipped by her. "Wait. Hold up. Is that perfume I smell?" She asked with an arched brow.

" No. Just let it go". I said still trying to walk away but she caught my arm and sniffed my clothing.

"It is perfume and not mine. The fuck you been doing Duel? Who is she? I won't tolerate this". She screeched.

Blowing out my breath I just came out with it. I figured the sooner we get it over with the sooner I can get to bed. "I'm sorry. I was drunk and slipped up. It won't happen again".

" Slipped up? " Zoe hissed and before I could reach her hand shot out and connected with my cheek.

Instantly I held my hand back ready to deliver a blow to her but caught myself. I might be many thing's but I refuse to hit her. Instead I pointed my finger at her. "It's best you let me sleep this off until tomorrow. If not I won't be held responsible for what may occur" .

I stalked to the bedroom without another word and passed out. The next morning I woke late but was in no rush. My head was pounding and all I wanted was a shower. After a long, hot bath I made my way to the kitchen for some water to wash down the aspirin I had taken. As I turned to go I came face to face with Zoe who had her arm's crossed and looked pissed. "I refuse to live like this Duel. If you can't be faithful tell me now so I can get out of this marriage. I can forgive most anything but cheating isn't one of them".

Taking a deep breath I sat at the table. "I'm sorry. It won't happen again.  I don't know what I was thinking."

" What happened to you Duel? You use to be so into me and now... Now you seem distant. Please tell me you just didn't marry me just to have someone by you? " Zoe asked in but of a plea.

"Of course not. I got a lot on my mind. This business, my family, you and I let it get to me. Like I said it won't happen again. Let me make it up to you. I'll take you out tonight" . I suggested.

Instead Zoe plopped my phone down in front of me with the screen lit up. A picture of Chelley stared back at me. "You sure this isn't your problem?" She asked in a accusing tone.

I stared at the picture of Chelley. I hadn't seen it in awhile because I refused to look at it. "Not one single picture of me is on your phone but there is dozens of hers".

" You had no right going through my phone". I growled.

"I have every right seeing how I'm your wife Duel. I want every one of those pictures deleted now". She insisted.

I sat still stewing in my anger. "Erase them. Or do you still love her?" Zoe screamed .

"Of course not. I never really did. It was just something different. You want them gone, fine I'll delete them". I said snatching up my phone and moving them to trash.

This seemed to make Zoe happy for the moment and that's all I cared about. Anything to get away from this argument. I spent the remainder of the day working then as promised I took Zoe out. Thing's went great. We had fun and enjoyed each other but once back at home Zoe stated. "I don't want you to hunt for Chelly. Let it go."

" I wasn't planning to. I said all that out of anger. I've got too much going on here to worry about her. Besides, I'm happily married and hunting other women doesn't appeal to me". I said.

This seemed to please Zoe and we ended up in bed.

A few day's passed and I was true to my word.. I haven't been out looking for a good time without my wife. Not only that but the wheels of fate begin to turn and the business was booming. I had more clients than I could handle. Meanwhile I did have my men locate my family. Just as I suspected they were in Vegas. Not just with King but the Marrittas as well hunkered down below the desert.

This stumped me. I'm certain that by now they know they are free and all charges have been dropped. So why haven't they returned to try and claim the business back? I decided to have a few men stay back and keep an eye on them. During this time I ran across an old enemy of my Pape's. For ages my Pape had tried to find this man to kill but he always got away. Well, not this time. Poor sucker didn't even know it was coming when I took him out as he was walking to his parked car. He'll never steal from us again.

Feeling a bit big headed and wanting to rub my accomplishments in my Papes face, I severed the man's ring finger off. He were a very unique ring there and I wanted my family to be able to identify him. Dealing the finger up nicely in a beautiful gift box, I wrote a short note.

To Demarco Harper, I'm sure you will be thrilled with this gift. Consider it a token of  gratitude from the son you said would never amount to nothing, the son you turned your back on. Allow me to introduce you to the new King.... Duel Harper ".

I sat back and lit a smoke as I sent my men to deliver my gift. Today was a good day.

Do you think Zoe forgave him too easily?

Was Duel serious about not looking for Chelly?

Will Duel cheat again?

Was it smart of Duel sending his father that gift?

How do you think Demarco will react at having Duel tell him that he was no longer the king but that he was now the king?

Wonder why the Harper's haven't came out of hiding yet to claim their empire back?