Chapter 5

Cameron finished recounting Rob's story to her, intentionally omitting the parts where he and Rob had discussed the status of his and Andra's relationship or lack of one as the case may be.

She sat quietly across from him, intently examining the picture he had just sent to her phone.  The mushroom and cheese omelet she had ordered sat, untouched, in front of her.

Cameron had been more than a little amused, but not surprised when an older woman had brought their order.  Apparently, the pink-haired waitress wasn't going to make another appearance.  If Andra had noticed the girl's absence she didn't comment on it.

He could see the excitement on her face when she finally looked up at him and he suddenly found himself caught up in a swirl of emotions. He couldn't deny that he had been looking forward to sharing Rob's story with Andra. He'd been excited even. It would make her happy and he loved that he could be the cause of that. Even so, there was still a small part of him that held out hope that Rob's warning would give her pause.

"We have so much to do." She already had her phone out saving notes for herself for later. "If I can get some kind of real background info on the house and then maybe find someone who will talk to us on the record....."

She trailed off as she began to put everything in the Notes section of her phone.

"It's good that the house will be easy to get into, at least that's one obstacle out of the way." She muttered distractedly to herself.

"So what's the plan exactly?" Cameron asked her, already feeling more than a little uneasy.

"Oh, crap Cameron! I'm sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself." She said apologetically, setting her phone down and looking at him. " I need your help to pull it off, obviously, but what I would like to do is lay this out in several different videos. I would want to have the first couple of videos be a history of the house. Newspaper clippings, news reports, that type of thing. And then interviews of anyone related to the situation, that will willingly talk to us about it. Then we would do an actual investigation of the house."

"How exactly would we do that? We're not professional ghost hunters and we don't have that kind of equipment."

"Oh for sure." She replied quickly. "It would be an amateur investigation, but there are plenty of everyday items that we could use that would be relatively inexpensive."

"Are you at all worried about what Rob said about that place?

She was shaking her head before he even finished. "Not really. It doesn't sound a lot different than what most people who have had paranormal experiences report."

 "Andra I like you a lot." He took her hand as he said this. He could feel the color creeping into his face but he pushed on anyway. "If you need my help with this I'll be there...but I won't lie to you. I'm a little worried."

"I've known Rob my entire life. He's not the type of person that's easily shaken. The thought of facing down something that sent Rob running like that, well, let's just say it's not a comforting scenario for me. Then there's the fact that neither one of us have any experience with this type of thing outside of YouTube videos. You've said as much yourself. Pretending to be this professional medium/paranormal expert for your followers and being one in real life are two completely different things. We have no idea what we're tampering with here."

She squeezed his hand lightly and leaned toward him smiling. "I like you too." She told him quietly. " A lot. I hear what you're saying and you're right. If you don't want to do this, or you're not comfortable with it, I don't want you to feel obligated. I understand, and it won't change the way I feel about you. Cameron, this is something I feel like I need to do for myself. I feel like this is what I'm supposed to be doing. I can promise you that I will handle this with the utmost respect and consideration. If I feel like I'm in over my head, at any point, I will call this off."

Cameron's eyes met hers and the determination he saw there destroyed the last of his resolve.

"Alright," He said with a sigh. "I'm in. But I better at least get some kind of honorable mention when we're done."

She smiled at him brightly, her entire face lighting up, and for a moment, the dread he felt slipped away.

"Cameron, I will name the video after you if that's what you need. Thank you so much."

"Hmm." He said winking at her slyly. "Cameron the Documentary.  It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

She laughed out loud and seeing how happy she was made him feel good in ways he couldn't explain, but somewhere in the back of his mind was a tickle of unease that wouldn't quite disappear.