CHAPTER 1

Hello 🙂
Please, if you're using a link to read this story and keep finding yourself on this chapter all the time, just scroll down or swipe on your browser to reach the next page. Or better still, you can download the app - Wattpad from google play store or apple store. That way, you will be able to access the story offline and even help me by voting.😊

Enjoy!

AZ

Even though I hate to admit it, I'm actually enjoying this stupid vacation more than I thought I would. I expected it to be worse than this, I expected to be bored out of my brains but I'm not.

The sun is warm against my skin, the water is clear and the waves are rushing up and down the shore. It's New Year's Eve and Gramps and I are on our usual last day of the year trip.
Last year, we were in Tunisia at the Sidi Bou Saïd- an extremely beautiful village and I had a splendid time.

This year, Gramps wanted us to spend the holidays at a beach back here, in Cameroon. I hated the idea then and I hate it now. I hate this country so much and every opportunity I get to be away from here, I take.

The beach isn't bad at all, I mean I expected less from  Cameroon... but it's ok, I guess. I'm still angry though, not because we're at some beach in Limbe for New Year, I'm angry because he has his new girlfriend over with us.

He never brings his girls over during our trips, but this time he did and it's pissing me off to the core. We can't have our little chit chats anymore, he's too busy talking to her. I have honestly never felt like I had to fight for Gramps' attention, till now. They are literally all over each other, it's like I'm not even here. She has stuck to him like a leach and it's like I do not even exist.
But then again I've seen this cycle too many times to feel this insecure. She might be the first girl he's brought along on a trip, but he'll get bored of her soon enough, just like it was with the others before her.

I apply some sun cream on my skin and put on my headsets after stretching on my chaise longue. Lately I've been obsessed with Phora's new album- Bury Me With Dead Roses. I just can't get enough. It's a good enough distraction for now, but I need to find something more exciting to do tonight or I'll lose my freaking mind.

"Azinwi, I got this for you." Shura says, her annoying voice interrupting the music I was drowned in.
I look up and she has two glasses of juice in her hand, the ones with the little umbrellas. She's holding one towards me with a stupid smile on her face.

"I'm not thirsty" is all I say and her jaws drop.

"Come on baby" Gramps sighs.

"What Gramps? I'm really not thirsty."

"But it's really good. It's made from Adam fruit." She insists, regaining her smile.

"I don't want it."

"Just try it first." Gramps coaxes, giving me a just-do-it look. I exhale and take the glass from her before taking a sip.

"It's good right?" Shura beams.

"Not really."

"Azinwi..." Gramps groans.

"What?" I giggle. "Alright, it's not all that bad. It's just not my favourite drink of all time."

She sits down slowly and I'm satisfied I ruined her mood. I put down the glass and turn back to my phone.

I don't have too many contacts, but when I viewed a few status updates  this morning, everyone wants to be better, do better, let go of their bad habits and all that resolution crap. This is what everyone does at the start of every new year and by February, all the resolutions are tossed aside. I couldn't care less.
To me, it's going to be a regular Wednesday and I won't be putting down the bottle or my joints anytime soon. I'll continue being the same lovable asshole I've always been.