Chapter 162

I felt my heart sink at the name. Fred and George stared between Sirius and I as he stood by the door. They probably had no idea what R.A.B was.

But I was just as curious as them, wondering what Sirius could possibly have to tell me about my father. And why was it so urgent?

"Er... all right." I nodded hesitantly. "Why don't you come in?"

Fred stepped aside and we all lowered our wands as Sirius walked inside and into the living room, looking around uncomfortably.

He cleared his throat, saying to the twins, "I was actually hoping to talk to Lexi in private."

"What's the point?" Fred grinned. "She's gonna tell me everything the moment you leave."

I shot him a glare. Thankfully, he got the hint and so rolled his eyes.

"Oh, all right." He sighed. "C'mon, Georgie. Let's go down."

Sirius waited until the twins had left the flat and went downstairs into the shop. The second they closed the door behind them, Sirius took out his wand and casted a few enchantments around the place so no one could hear us.

"Okay, what is it?" I asked impatiently as Sirius put his wand back in his coat's inner pocket again.

"Why don't you sit down?" he said, gesturing at the couch and so we both took our seats, right in front of the fireplace.

"Is something wrong?" I asked apprehensively.

"I went to Grimmauld Place this morning," said Sirius and I gulped.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were supposed to go there last night, and this morning they had probably seen the sign on Regulus's room, finding out who R.A.B was.

I knew that Kreacher was supposed to take Harry's orders and tell him all about Regulus. But now that Sirius was alive, that meant that Harry wasn't Kreacher's master and therefore couldn't order him around.

So not knowing what to expect, I remained silent and let Sirius carry on and speak.

"They told me about what Dumbledore had asked them to do and all about the Horcruxes."

"Sirius, you can't go with them—"

"I know that," Sirius broke me of quickly, sounding bitter. "Dumbledore had a talk with me a few months before he died... he said that seeing as I wasn't supposed to survive, I mustn't meddle."

I was slightly relieved, but knowing Sirius, I still expected him to act recklessly at some point, which worried me.

"Anyway," he went on, "I visited them this morning; I guessed that they would be there, and I was right. And then they told me about Tom Riddle's cave and the fake Horcrux and the letter hidden inside it, signed R.A.B. I guess you already know who that is, am I right?"

"Regulus Arcturus Black." I nodded slowly, dropping my gaze down.

"Well, I called upon Kreacher," said Sirius. "I ordered him to tell me exactly what my brother had done and — and —"

This time it was Sirius's turn to look away. I saw a flash of hurt pass through his eyes as he struggled to speak.

"And Kreacher told us exactly what had happened... about how Regulus had asked Kreacher to take him to the cave, how Regulus drank the potion, and how he was dragged down into the water by the Inferi..."

"You didn't tell Harry and the others that Regulus was alive, did you?" I asked worriedly.

"No." Sirius shook his head. "But that's not the point, Lexi... How did Regulus survive? He was dragged under the water by the Inferi! That's impossible!"