24. PHOENIX FEATHER

| CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR |

PHOENIX FEATHER.

THE SUN PEEKED THROUGH THE half closed curtains, shining through Dawn's closed eyelids. She had never felt so at peace and when she opened her eyes and looked around her surroundings she couldn't help to smile. She was lying in her bed in her flat at Romania, arms wound tightly around her waist causing the smile to widen.

She stayed lying still until she felt the figure behind her move slightly. Twisting her head to look over her shoulder, she grinned at Remus as he quickly returned the gesture. Comforting silence had enveloped the pair as Dawn finally decided to turn around, letting her body face Remus'. Her hand instinctively reached out to his chest, her fingers dancing it on ever so gently, looming over many old scars.

"Good morning," He breathed out, looking down at her with a wide grin spread across his face.

"It is indeed, isn't it," Dawn chuckled, her plump lips stretching widely to show off her pearly white teeth. 

Remus joined her laughter, his chest rumbling with it against her soft palm. They fell back into a comfortable silence not too long after that. Remus' arm was wound around her exposed shoulders, stroking her back whilst hers stayed on his chest. It seemed that neither of them wanted to move, this felt too perfect to be disturbed, but deep down both of them knew they should.

"We should be getting back today," The redhead mumbled, Remus glanced back down at her, his eyes inspecting her face as if she was the best artwork he had ever seen, "But is it bad that I kind of don't want to?"

He shook his head, smiling warmly at her, "Not at all," The werewolf stated, his chest rumbling underneath her fingertips, "I wish we could stay like this forever too...but unfortunately, I don't think we can."

"I'm sure we could try," She chuckled, her chest warming up when Remus leaned over to press a lingering kiss on her temple. 

"Do you have the time?" He asked softly, an amused smile on his face.

Dawn looked back over her shoulder at the alarm clock she kept by her bedside when something in the corner of the room caught her attention, "Remus, is that...?"

Remus sat up, grabbing his wand from the bedside table on his side he pointed it at the opposite side of the bedroom, only lowering it when he spotted an object rather than a intruder. It was a feather; more specifically, a Phoenix's feather, floating it's way down towards the carpet, "I-I think it is."

With panic racing through her veins, Dawn threw the duvet off her body, grabbing the closet thing near the bed (Remus' shirt) she threw it on, letting it envelope her right in. She practically ran over to the feather, catching it as it turned into a piece of parchment just before it could hit the floor. She knew the message would be from Dumbledore, but what on earth would he need to be telling her as of right now? Whatever it was, she had a sick feeling in her stomach that told her it couldn't be anything good. 

Unfolding the parchment, Dawn felt her knees buckling underneath her, causing her to fall down onto the carpet. Ignoring the burning sensation on her knees as they rubbed on the carpet, she threw her hand to her mouth to muffle her shaky breathing. 

"Dawn..." Remus' soft voice called out, "What is it?"

The redhead looked over her shoulders and instantly Remus' heart felt like it shattered into little pieces. Her eyes were filled to the brim with fresh tears, her face had paled and her entire body shook, "It-It's my dad."