18. Graduation

A/N Sorry, it's a bit sad but there is some fluff. Also, I went over my word count but this one was really hard to edit down.

(1170 words)

Minerva looked across the lawn at the seated seventh and eighth years in their school robes. She always felt surprisingly emotional on this day; it was bitter-sweet to see her children celebrate their successes and fly freely into the world. Today was the day she allowed herself to call them all by their given names, not because she now considered them adults or equals, but because she allowed the wall to come down that kept her emotions in check; for how could she bare to love every child that came through those doors, only to lose them seven years later, year after year?

This year, more than most, she felt the sorrow, for she'd witnessed the extraordinary journeys of sixteen young adults since they'd arrived eight years ago. She'd seen them go through a war that could've destroyed them. She'd witnessed Draco fall into hell and emerge a better man for it. She'd seen Neville become a hero, Fay find her courage, and Blaise mature. Pansy'd become a considerate young woman, Padma and Parvati become independent individuals. Susan grieved yet never faltered in her studies, and Dean and Seamus finally found each other. She'd watched Hannah become a quiet counsellor, Terry excel in his writing, and Ernie grow into one of the most inclusive members of the school, fighting a passionate equality battle for everyone. She'd witnessed Hermione, Ron and Harry defeat Death year after year. And, even in death, Harry had sacrificed himself and come back to them. Harry, whom she'd first met when he was a fifteen-month-old baby, just after poor James and Lily had died that horrible night. It wasn't surprising that she felt emotional.

Now, she supposed, he would leave, like they all did; her children went and forgot to look back.

It was Dean who'd surprised her the most, the war giving him the courage to pursue a personal passion to become a talented singer. Dean had asked to sing for the fallen and, as Michael Corner from the seventh year accompanied on guitar, his rich tenor rang out across the lawns:

When the day is long,
And the night...
The night is yours alone.

Minerva looked out upon her children, sitting in alphabetical order apart from Harry and Draco who'd managed to reseat themselves without her noticing. Behind them, their families. She saw familiar faces. The Weasleys, so distinctive: Molly crying with Arthur comforting her; George, who looked so hollow alone; Bill and Fleur with baby Victoire; Percy too, reconnected; and Charlie, come home especially. They were there, not just for Ron and Ginny, but for Harry and Hermione too. It marked the end of an era, until the next generation of Weasleys were ready to attend the school.

Don't let yourself go...
'Cause everybody cries,
And everybody hurts, sometimes...

Minerva carefully removed her glasses and delicately dabbed the tears from her eyes with a handkerchief. Even the birds had stopped to listen.

Sometimes everything is wrong.
Now, it's time to sing along.
When your day is night alone, hold on.
Hold on...

She could see Narcissa Malfoy, permitted to come to her son's graduation, sitting with Andromeda Tonks and an eighteen-month-old Teddy Lupin. A family devastated by the war but also reconnecting and re-building slowly. Andromeda caught eyes with Minerva, quirking a gentle smile. They'd remained friends since their schooldays. Andromeda, too, had tears in her eyes, but then, so did most.

'Cause everybody hurts.
Take comfort in your friends.
Everybody hurts...

There were so many missing faces, not just students but other family members. Fred Weasley's absence was conspicuous. Hermione's parents. Harry's parents. Harry's godfathers. Neville's parents. Pansy's parents. Susan's mother. Draco's father. The list went on. She couldn't look along the staff dais to see the absence of Albus and Severus...

Hold on...
Everybody hurts...
You're not alone...

Dean's voice faded quietly and silence hovered over the grounds as they all remembered loved ones and friends.

Minerva heard Hagrid blow his nose noisily as Ernie approached the lectern. She'd changed her mind about asking Harry to give a speech; she wanted him to have a normal day. A day where he was just Harry, like any other school leaver. Not 'Harry Potter', just Harry. She watched as Draco reached across to take a clearly upset Harry's hand and give it a gentle squeeze. Draco's own face held stoically rigid in true Malfoy fashion, despite the tremble in his lower lip. They were good for each other. They might not have realised yet what it really meant but it would happen. She hoped they would remember her, she'd like to celebrate with them when the day came. But, so often, that was not the way with her children.

'It's hard to follow that...' Ernie said with visible tears on his cheeks. There was an appreciative small laugh as the stillness broke and people brought themselves back to the moment. His voice was choked as he said, 'There's so many friends and family who should be here today. The music has expressed our grief in a way words cannot.' Ernie paused and took a deep breath, Minerva could hear it was shaky. 'I want to turn to celebrating our achievements of which, as you have already heard, there are many. I promised my fellow year eights that I wouldn't do names but some deserve a special mention: of course, there's our year's valedictorian, Hermione; Draco's Duxes in Potions and Transfiguration; Padma in Astrology; Blaise in Alchemy; Harry, unsurprisingly, in Defence against the Dark Arts; Ron, surprising us all in Charms...'

Minerva smiled as Charlie Weasley 'whooped' loudly and the year eights laughed.

'that wasn't a Dux though!'

More laughter.

'...Seamus's unofficial Dux in "Blowing Things Up!"'

Everyone laughed and the atmosphere lifted.

'None of this would have been possible without our professors here at Hogwarts. I know I speak on behalf of all of our year when expressing my gratitude for giving us more than just academic knowledge.' Ernie paused. '"You not alone!" The final line of the song is most appropriate. From here, I see a school that is no longer a divided but unified and that means strength. I truly believe this is the best journey. One where we embrace each other, no matter our differences, or the circumstances we've found ourselves in, or for a past that needs forgiving. This year, more than any other has taught me that... and I'm proud to walk away from Hogwarts with fifteen very special friends...'

Minerva watched as her children clapped and cheered and their wizarding hats were thrown in the air, and they chatted with their families and friends. As tears flowed again, and hugs were given, and Floo addresses were swapped once more. She stood apart. Some remembered her, but she understood. This was the next part of their lives and she was no longer apart of it. Instead, she had a new cohort of students arriving soon to nurture until they too were ready to step out into the world.

*****

The song is R.E.M.'s Everybody Hurts. I find it incredibly powerful...