forty two | ozai's plan

Mari sat at the shore looking out into the ocean. The others were sleeping for they had returned from the performance hours ago.

However, sleep would not come to her. She traced drawings in the sand lost in her thoughts that she didn't hear the footsteps behind her.

"Isn't it a little late to be out here?" Said Zuko.

She turned and smiled lightly before turning back. "I can't sleep." She said.

He sighed and sat down next to her.

They sat in silence for a while watching the waves crash lightly onto the sand.

"It's crazy to think. That at the beginning of summer. I was riding on an ostrich horse traveling village to village." Mari said, sharing a laugh with the amber-eyed prince next to her. "I was a literal nomad. And now, I'm stowing away at the Fire Lord's house on an island, while helping the Avatar end a war that's been going on for 100 years."

Zuko chuckled. "Well at the beginning of summer, I was bald." Mari laughed, recalling the memory. "And I was hunting the very person I'm now training."

"And I was mad all the time." He added on.

"What changed?" Mari joked, sarcastically.

Zuko paused. "I met you."

Mari met his eyes and smiled, looking back at the ocean.

Zuko's finger lifted her chin back up. He looked into her eyes for a moment before placing his hand lightly against her cheek. Slowly, he bent down and pressed his lips against hers.

The same feeling she once felt on the shore of the lake long ago returned. Melting into the kiss. Her stomach fluttered. His warm hands gently wrapped around her waist, settling on the small of her back.

Lips moving in harmony, Zuko guided Mari down, hovering over her, lips still intertwined.

Mari's legs wrapped around Zuko's torso, pulling him closer to her, her hands running through his hair.

Zuko let out a quiet groan as his hand slipped lightly under her top, Mari's skin flared with goosebumps from contact.

"Wait-" She pulled away quickly.

He opened his eyes and looked down at her. "What's wrong."

"This can't be happening."

Zuko looked at her confused. "Oh- I'm sorry"

"You have someone waiting for you, Zuko. Mai risked her life to save us at Boiling Rock. This isn't fair to her or me."

Zuko looked down, feeling guilty.

"Zuko. We had our time together in Ba Sing Se. When this is over, you will return to the Fire Nation, but it won't be with me."

She got up from the sand. Zuko getting up as well.

"Goodnight, Zuko." She smiled sadly before walking back to the house.

--

"More ferocious! Imagine striking you opponents heart." Zuko called out to Aang as the rest of the group watched them train.