4. Unexpected News

The photo I used as the chapter cover is how Imperial Noble Consort Qi looks.
The photo I used is not mine, credit to the rightful owner.

"MeiMei, you look quite well, how was the night with the Emperor?"
Jiao Wei knew that her sister didn't mean well, since she was born, Ling Wei always tried to frame her.
Since her position of the only daughter of Wei Household was 'stolen' by Jiao Wei, she always resented her.

But their father, Liu Wei, never punished Ling Wei, because she favorited her mother.
"JieJie I'm in a good mood thanks to His Majesty, and how are you?"

Ling Wei, with her beautiful face ruined by the jealousy, replied "I'm quite well you know, His Majesty praised me for begin good at playing the guzheng[1]"

"I'm happy for you, if you allow me, now I need to retire." Jiao Wei didn't want anymore to hear Ling Wei words, so she leaved without looking anymore at her.

"You will see what I'm capable of" then, Ling Wei leaved too.

———

A month passed, Ling Wei was now the new favorite, the Emperor visited her two times in a row, which was rare for a new concubine.

Noble Lady Ling also was graced by the Emperor, after he discovered her talent with the pipa, he was enchanted by her charm and beauty.

Strangely, Consort Hua didn't make any move, she was all time in her personal chamber, rarely she went out.

In the evening the banquet for First Prince sixth birthday would be held.

The banquet hall was luxurious for the Prince, a red carpet with gold embroidery was put in the middle, the right seats were for women and the left for mens, all of the participants were from high ranked families, with officials and their wives.

The Emperor seat was in the middle, obviously it was made gold.
The closest seats to him were for his mother and for Imperial Noble Consort Qi.

The most important guest, aside from the Royal Family, was the Emperor uncle, the brother of the previous Emperor: Prince of the First Rank Gao, along his official wife and his favorite concubine.

In fact, Prince Gao was a candidate for the Dragon throne, but most of the officials, along the Empress Dowager, didn't support him, but that doesn't mean he hasn't any influence in state affairs.

Before any problem or proposal will begin examined by the Emperor in the court, Prince Gao will know about it first. Because of this, his presence is always a problem for the throne, he may, at any moment, start a rebellion.

Fortunately, that doesn't seem, for now, in his plans.

Every concubine wore luxurious dresses in hope to catch the eyes of the Emperor, Jiao Wei wasn't an exception.

In fact, most of the performances in the banquets were from the hard-working concubines, for example, today Jiao Wei along his friend, Noble Lady Ling, would perform a dance along the sound of the pipa.

Noble Lady Wei wore a luxurious blue and red ruqun chest with gold embroidery, golden hairpins can be seen in her long and silky black hair, her sister wasn't an exception, her dress was also quite luxurious: a pink dress that shows her chest, her hair is full of golden hairpins with pink flowers.