10. Pregnant

The photo I used as the chapter cover is how Consort Xi looks.
The photo I used is not mine, credit to the rightful owner.
-

Silence filled the banquet hall after Consort Xi's personal maid finished to explain what they saw, nobody expected that a Duke's daughter would be so arrogant and, insane, to frame another concubine using a curse. After the incident that happened years ago with the late Emperor's favorite consort, mentioning about cursers was a taboo not only in the Imperial Palace, but in the whole Imperial Capital, since the Emperor was deeply traumatized when he was a little prince, everyone thought that Noble Lady Wei was done for.

Imperial Concubine Jian was left speechless, she knew that her sister harbored bad intentions towards her, but not to this extent, back when Jiao Wei and Ling Wei were children, they always tried to bring down eachother, but as a concubine child, Ling Wei never had her father's affection, so she was always seen as the bad tempered lady from the Wei's Dukedom, and her reputation slowly got worse when rumors got spread by the maids that worked in the Wei's residence, "The first miss of Wei is rude towards the second miss", "Obviously she's an illegitimate daughter, the first miss has both the noble blood of the Wei Clan and Yu Clan, of course she's more educated, noble and kind."

"Your Majesty – said Consort Xi's personal maid, – please investigate throughly in this matter and bring justice to Imperial Concubine Jian and Imperial Concubine Xian."

After a moment of silence, the Emperor suddenly spoke, "Guards, go and bring Noble Lady Wei so we will hear what she has to say about this matter."

———

"My Lady, we're in trouble!" a low-ranking maid suddenly approached Ling Wei's bed with a worried expression, "A maid from The Palace of Eternal Spring came, It's seem we got discovered, Consort Xi's maid claimed that she saw My Lady's personal maid put the cursed item under Imperial Concubine Jian and Xian bed's, His Majesty the Emperor called the guards to bring My Lady to the banquet."

"Uh a mere maid words are more relevant than mine? Who dares!" Noble Lady Wei was out of control, she was screaming and breaking the luxurious furniture, "My Lady please calm your anger! – the maid was scared and bowed to her master's foots, – Consort Xi has a high position in the Imperial Harem and court! Not only she's from a respected noblehouse, she's a senior concubine that both His Majesties The Emperor and Empress Dowager respects! She's also the First Princess' rightful mother, we should be cautious with her!"

Ling Wei for a moment didn't know what to do, Consort Xi has a powerful background and she's a fourth-ranking concubine too, she needs to take action now, before its too late.
"Go and bring that thing and makeup, I must look like a pitiful and fragile Lady! Hurry before-", Noble Lady Wei didn't even had the time to finish her words that the Emperor's personal eunuch came with the Imperial Guards, now it was too late.

"Noble Lady Wei, under the Emperor orders we must bring My Lady's to the banquet hall, please come with us freely on My Lady's will or we must use force."

———

Meanwhile at the Palace of Eternal Spring, the nobles and concubines were waiting patiently, until an eunuch announced the arrival of Consort Xi, "Her Highness Consort Xi has arrived!", the elegant and posed lady slowly walked towards the Emperor's and Empress Dowager's throne, "This Concubine greets His Majesty the Emperor and Her Majesty the Empress Dowager." with a graceful bow, she showed respect to the monarchs.