18. Cold Palace

The photo I used as the chapter cover is
First Class Female Attendant Feng, aka Yue Feng.
The photo I used it's not mine, credit to the rightful owner.

"Replying to NiangNiang, Imperial Concubine Chun gave birth to the Fourth Prince."

The news that Imperial Concubine Chun gave birth to the Fourth son of the Emperor spread like wildfire, the Emperor only knew the birth of his Fourth son at the sunset, when he wake up to do a morning training of martial arts.
'Even if my affections for her are not anymore like the past, she still gave birth to the Fourth Prince, mother of my son, and she's still strong even after a terrible miscarriage.', though the Emperor,
so he spread an Imperial Edict the day after the birth of the Fourth Prince, it was all the citizens of the Jin Empire could talk about;
"Imperial Concubine Chun gave birth to the Fourth Prince, We will gave to the Fourth Prince the name Wang ChangMin, with the third rank (Beile). The mother will be promoted to Consort Chen and be moved to the Palace of Gathering Elegance."

Now there are three Consorts, for the first time since the current Emperor inherited the throne. The low-ranked concubines will do anything to catch the last spot for the Consort title, now mainly two concubines are competing: Imperial Concubine Xian, Ling Xue, and Imperial Concubine Rong, both pregnant.
The Empress Dowager knew that the Emperor won't ever forget Imperial Concubine Chun, even if he doesn't love her anymore, she still values and respect her as the mother of his son, so he promoted her to Fei.
Even if the Emperor spends the night with various concubines, everyone knows who is his true confident and lover, Consort Zhen.
He still puts in priority his duty as the Emperor of the Jin Empire, birthing as many possible heirs, but that doesn't mean he won't show in public his love for Jiao Wei. Also one of the reason why the Emperor likes Jiao Wei, other than her personal and beauty, she knows and respects the Emperor duty to produce heirs, so she doesn't try to speak baldy of the other concubines, like everyone would do, but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel jealousy, and the Emperor knew that.

Everyone was occupied with not one, but two births in the Imperial Family in one week that they forgot about the Third Princess of the Mongolian reign, the half-sister of Imperial Concubine Jia. Last year the King of the Mongolian reign let a concubine enter the Palace, along his daughter, that no one knew the existence until now, the Third Princess; her mother, even if a concubine, is still the legitimate daughter of a ducal house, so even if the Third Princess is illegitimate, no one could dare to deny her noble bloodline. The Queen, to lower the concubine position, sent her daughter to the Emperor, knowing he won't favor the Third Princess.

After the birth of the Fourth Prince, the Emperor decided to give to his beloved the Third Prince, and held a ceremony for this.
The ceremony was held in private in Jiao Wei's residence in the Autumn Palace, after that, the two will go to one of the gardens of the Palace and have lunch together, in a Pavillon close to a green house, full of exotic flowers and plantes.
The ones who were permitted to attend the ceremony were the Empress Dowager, Imperial Noble Consort Qi and Imperial Concubine Xian, all of them, including the Emperor and Consort Zhen, were wearing ceremony clothes.

"This Emperor bestows to Consort Zhen to be the mother of the Third Prince."

"This concubine accept, – said bowing Jiao Wei, – this concubine asks the Emperor to bestow to the Third Prince the third rank (Beile) and a name."