sequel: chapter eleven

Another week, and another day that I miss Brynn more and more

Journey seemed more down. I'm used to seeing her smiling but now she's constantly frowning. She doesn't think I notice the frowns but I do.

"Journey after breakfast, you and I are gonna have a talk okay?"

"Yeah." She whispers playing with her food.

I patiently wait for her to finish. The twins have gone upstairs to play with their toys after finishing up their food.

"Baby what's wrong?"

"Nothing." She replies.

"Don't you dare lie to me."

"It's nothing." She mumbled wiping a tear that slipped onto her cheeks.

"Baby, talk to me please."

"I'm just worried about mommy."

"What's wrong with mommy?" I asked.

"She just looks really tired. She smiles a lot but I just know that she's tired." Journey sighs fiddling with her fingers.

Funny babe, you do the same.

She is definitely Brynn's daughter. They were so alike it was unbelievable.

I remembered what Kylie said. Brynn wasn't sleeping and I hate knowing it's my fault. Fuck.

"It's okay, baby. I'll go talk to mommy."

"I don't think mommy is ready to talk to you." She tells me.

"She told you that?"

"No. I just know how mommy is." Brynn really raised our daughter to become a smart child.

"Well, it doesn't matter. I'm gonna make sure mommy is okay."

"Okay." She yawns. She places her plate in the sink before going upstairs.

~

"I'm so sorry, I thought their mom was picking them up today. It was a miscommunication." I apologized to the teacher. "Thank you for staying with them."

"No problem Mr. Monroe." She smiles. "Have you checked up on their mom recently? She's looking awfully tired."

"I'll check up on her today. Thanks again."

"Okay kids, I'm going to drop you off at grandma's house and I'm gonna go see mommy." I buckled them into the car seats.

"Can we come to see mommy too?"

"Maybe tomorrow."

"Fine." They all grumbled.

I drove as fast as I could to my mom's house. I dropped them off quickly and then drove to the office.