Chapter 49

The casserole was finished by the time Hannes returned, and it was shared amongst everyone in the home. Willow had made some protests about eating it, but eventually was persuaded by Athena to do so.

The smell of the food was wondrous, and making it was relatively easy. I'd ensured to pay much attention to it whilst it was being cooked, and had winced internally throughout that time as I'd remembered what had happened yesterday.

"You made this, mother?" Hannes asked at one point after taking several bites of the food and seeming pleased by the flavor. Athena glanced at me.

"Olivia and myself did. Doesn't it look and taste delicious?"

I narrowed my eyes at Hannes when it became evident that he was resisting laughing, and I waited for him to speak about me accidentally allowing the cookies to burn. However, he didn't dare, and kept his attention on the food placed before him.

"Yes, it does." Hannes replied, after clearing his throat and appearing to manage to swallow down his laughter.

I quickly ate my meal and it was only after Hannes had finished eating his own that I declared that I would be going on a short walk. Immediate wariness caught ahold of Hannes' expression and he stood, chair dragging noisily backwards against the wooden floor. Willow and Jeremiah straightened from where they were seated, and looked between us, waiting.

"How far do you intend to go?" Hannes was adjusting the collar of his white dress-shirt as he asked this, eyes running up and down my body, as if now noticing that the clothes I wore suited the outside weather.

"Not too far." I was beginning to back away, my eyes drifting to the window, noticing the lack of people outside passing by the house. Jeremiah and Willow climbed to their feet, and the male lycan glanced at Hannes who'd sent me an almost agitated look at my short answer.

"Will I call on the other warriors to join us, Alpha?" Jeremiah asked, wiping his fingers along a napkin to rid any remnants of the food lingering on them.

"Yes." Hannes said after a pause. He glanced at Jeremiah and nodded. "Please do."

Athena was leaning back in her chair, arms folded loosely on her chest, breathing slow and eyes twinkling; the picture of pure relaxation. "You all go along. I'll clean up soon."

"Thank you." I was already beginning to turn away as I spoke, eager to leave the home. I knew that Skylar had recommended that I rest, but I was feeling so much better than I had previously.

I was surprised by how quickly Herni, Frederick and Elle had arrived, and they were waiting patiently for us once we left the house. Little was said as Hannes and I began walking, but I did notice that Willow and Elle walked just a few feet ahead of us whilst Henri, Frederick and Jeremiah walked behind us, but certainly not too far away.

I was enjoying the cold wind and the sight of the grey, gloomy sky when Hannes firstly touched my right arm, shaking his head when he lifted my wrist and brought my fingers, which I hadn't even noticed had been trembling from the cold until then, to his mouth, blowing warm air against them. I immediately began to wiggle my fingers from his grip, noticing that the few who were outside were watching curiously, but Hannes refused to relent despite me becoming flustered.

"Should have worn gloves, Liv." I heard the laughter between his words when I finally managed to pull my fingers from him, and tucked my arm through his own instead.