XXVI. Reunion

Kai and Hunter exited the station and back into the battle in the street, escorting a tied up Nylas in front of them. Some of the Bàs Fuar warriors turned and stopped fighting at the sight of their leader restrained.

"Call it off," Kai ordered, nudging Nylas.
Nylas grunted in annoyance, glaring momentarily at Kai, before returning his attention to his warriors.
"Cease fighting!" he projected out to the crowd, "It's over... they've won."
The warriors looked at him, then at each other, before dissipating whatever weapons they carried and putting their hands up.

Hunter then roughly shoved Nylas onto the asphalt face-down.
"Hey," Kai said, pushing Hunter in the shoulder, "Ease up."
Hunter shook him off, begrudged, "I just think these guys should know their 'leader' is actually Giftless."
"What?!" Aria exclaimed from a few feet away.
"Yep," Hunter said with a smug grin, "Jerk's completely powerless. Taking him out was ridiculously easy."
Nylas just futilely struggled within the vine tying him up.

"Wait..." one of the warriors said, "This whole time... you didn't even have an ice Gift?!"
Murmurs among the disgruntled warriors then rose up in the crowd.
Nylas just sighed in defeat.
"Well... that's it, then!" Luke said, "We beat 'em!"
"But what about Dai, Jace, and Lena??" Aria asked worriedly.
"We will-" Ryū started, but was interrupted by the distant booming sound that rang out from Mt. Ibuki.
Everyone looked in the direction of the mountain in surprise.

"What the-?!" Hunter spouted, concerned.
"Was that... an explosion...?" Aria asked.
"If it was..." Chiasa said, stepping forward, "...that means an avalanche could very well come our way."

❄️

Millicent, Dai, and Lena skated down the trail on ice paths, with Jace being held piggyback by Lena. Dai looked back, his hoodie tied cozily around his waist and billowing behind him. Snow was chasing them in a massive wave, even though they have a solid lead on it. It enveloped the trees as it torrented down the mountain, mixed with debris from the now demolished temple.

"Come along, now!" Millicent urged, her gown and cloak blowing behind her.
The four continued down the trail, the snow starting to diverge into the trees once they made a turn.

They continued all the way down, and only stopped once they reach the city.
"The avalanche is on the other side, it shouldn't hit the town too harshly, if at all," Millicent said once they all skidded to a stop.
The three teens took a minute to catch their breath.
"So... what now?" Jace asked.
"Enzo's son reported that he captured his brother," Millicent explained, looking to Dai, "He's police chief... well, unofficially, but still."
"So, the police station!" Lena stated.
"Let's hurry!" Dai said, and he ran off, the other three following behind.

They turned one corner and stopped in utter surprise. The police station was up ahead on the street, with two exploded cop cars in the middle of it. Jace felt tears in his eyes when spotted Kai and Luke conversing. Dai could just stare in disbelief. Both boys immediately started running over to them, weaving through civilians and unmasked Bàs Fuar members.

Kai then noticed them, "Oh my god."
He then ran over and all three boys hugged in a tight group hug.
Pulling away, Kai looked at both of them.
"You scared me to death!" he scolded Dai, then turned to Jace, "And I missed you!"
Jace didn't answer, he just wrapped his arms around Kai's neck and held onto him, trying not to sob.
Kai held him back and looked to Dai, noticing his uniform.
"What an ugly outfit," he commented.
Dai just chuckled, "It served it's purpose."

Aria and Luke then ran over and joined in the hugging, both equally as emotional.
"Dai!!" Luke exclaimed, smushing his cheek with Dai's, "We were worried!! When Kai got captured we thought you got found out and-"
"Shhh," Dai soothed, half-smiling, "It's fine. You're smothering me."
"I'm not letting go, no matter what you say," Luke blubbered.
As Dai tried to wrestle free of Luke's grasp, Aria looked to Jace.
"Jace," she said, "We're so glad to have you back!!"
"Same here," Jace sniffled.

Lena and Millicent calmly walked over, watching the spectacle.
"You have truly made some wonderful friends, Lena," Millicent observed as she removed her hood.
Lena just smiled, blushing slightly, "Yeah..."
She then paused.
"I suppose I have you to thank for that," she added.
Millicent just looked at her for a moment, not expecting that reply.
"Lena!!" Aria exclaimed upon seeing them, getting up and running over to them.
Lena just opened her arms and the two girls hugged warmly.
Aria was the first to pull away, "I'm so happy you're okay!!"
"Yeah, me too, actually," Lena chuckled.
"That was really stupid of you!" Aria scolded, lightly slapping Lena's arm, "Going off on your own like that!"
Lena just chuckled as Aria then pulled her to join the others.

Millicent just smiled at them as they went, then frowned when she met Ryū's gaze in the crowd. She narrowed her own gaze in suspicion, only to look surprised when Ryū smiled and nodded at her.

The young Gifted were still reconciling in the street, when Hunter managed to weave through the crowd and join them.
"Lena...? Jace...!?" he exclaimed.
Jace looked over at him, surprise and worry contorting his face.

"What... are you doing here?" Jace asked.
Hunter came over to him, brushing past Kai and Dai to do so.
"I... I came to rescue you! Or, help rescue you. Are you okay?" Hunter asked, placing his hands on his shoulders.
Jace looked at where his hands were and shook him off, "I'm fine, Hunter."
"Well... good!" Hunter said awkwardly, "I'm glad!"
Lena and Aria just exchanged a look.
"Well... we have you back...! Everything can go back to normal then," Hunter grinned.
"Wait, what do you mean?" Jace asked.
Hunter stared, suddenly speechless, "Well-"
"Wait, wait, wait," Jace said, "Did you think that I'd wanna be friends again just because you showed up?!"
Hunter blinked.
Jace just scowled, "I should have known."
"No-!" Hunter started, "I was worried, too! I wanted to help save your life!"
"So you can use it as a reason for me to become your... your....!" he trailed off, balling his fists.
He then took a deep breath, and sighed.
"You're more readable than you think, Hunter," Jace sighed, "I should know by now."
Hunter's face turned to angry frown.

"I miss you, okay?!" he blurted out, "Why choose these jerks over me?!? Was I that bad?!"
"You still don't get it," Jace said, "And at this point, I don't think you'll ever will."
Some of the crowd were drawn into the conversation, causing both boys to become embarrassed.

"That's enough," Lena said, getting in between them, "Just stop it."
Hunter huffed as he turned and crossed his arms, avoiding eye contact with anyone.
Ryū then came over to them, a stern look on his face.

"If the theatrics are done," he said, "Mind telling me what went on on that mountain?"