four

On the day of the wedding, Kaycee was woken before sunrise and dragged out of her bed to get ready. Her eyes were narrowly open and her mind was still fuzzy as her dress was pulled onto her body, tied tight and she was sat down on a seat. She grimaced but made no complaints as her hair was tugged away from her face and tied up, neatly formed curls falling from the sides of the elegant bun. She watched as maids and servants of her parents walked in and out of her bedroom, some helping her, some talking her clothing and belongings away to be taken to their new house.

She stared at her reflection in the mirror, ignoring the swarm of people around her. Kaycee could hear the mumbles of her mother relentless orders to helpers and her father flicking through papers and arrangements that were to be finalized. She tried her best to keep a straight face as her emotions got the best of her and her eyes welled up with tears, picked up the necklace she had received a few days before and clasped it on her neck. She felt footsteps coming towards her and a hand gently shake her shoulder.

"Caitlin...come on we are going to be late." she heard her mother say. She stood up wordlessly and followed her out of her bedroom, turning at the last second to get a final look, knowing if she ever slept in it again, it wouldn't be the same. To the front door, their house was filled with people, moving chairs, arranging flowers, placing fine china down loudly on the tables.

She was led out the door to their carriage, where she sat staring out the window until they arrived at the church. As her mother left the carriage and made her way inside, Kaycee saw everyone and suddenly became very nervous. She could feel her palms begging to sweat and her heartbeat quickening, her father stepped out and offered her his arm. A part of her didn't want to get out, she wanted to be taken home where there were fewer people and she was bearly noticed as she knew the second she took a step into that building all eyes would be on her.

"Caitlin, come along dear. We don't want to make everyone wait now, do we?" she heard her father say. She almost started crying once again. Could he not see that she was nervous, or was he intentionally ignoring how she felt, as per usual? She tried to fight her emotions as she took his hand and stepped out. The cool morning air pressed the fabric of her vail gently against her nose and cheeks, but it helped calm her down, allowing her to take a few deep breaths before feeling her arms being tugged towards the entrance.

Before she was even able to take a look at the door, it was opened. She saw them turn to her and lowered her head, not so much that her father would tell her off, but enough for her to not feel as though she was being interrogated. As the music played, she began walking towards the front of the church where was Sean stood. Every step made her legs tremble, the tears that were still in her eyes not helping her relax. She was turned by her father's linked arms to face Sean, then she felt him slip away, leaving her with her soon-to-be husband.

He lifted the veil out of her face, trying not to gasp at how beautiful he thought she looked, flashing her a small grin. He quickly, however, turned his smile into a questioning frown as he saw her glistening eyes looking up at him. He knew he couldn't say anything, and instead watched as she pulled herself together and smiled at the minister. He began to speak and they repeated the vows.

"I now proclaim Caitlin and Charles, husband and wife." the minister said, smiling at the pair.

Kaycee looked up at him, a small smile on both their faces. She felt him lean down and plant a quick kiss on her lips. Heat spread across their cheeks as their families began clapping for the pair. As they both turned for the door, avoiding eye contact from their guests as they were told to by their parents, Kaycee caught a glimpse of her niece and nephew fidgeting and quietly fighting, making her giggle.

"Are you alright?" Sean asked once the carriage door had been shut.

"I'm good, why do you ask?" Kaycee said