Three

Quentin

"Those are pretty sick." The guy next to me said, looking over at my sketches.

When I'd come in this morning, most of everyone in the workroom were laughing and talking amongst themselves. No sketching, typing, meaningful discussion, just...chit chat.

"Oh..uh, thanks." I said, once I realized he was speaking to me.

"You actually draw like you know what you're doing. Any reason you're not up there with the designers?"

I couldn't pay for school.

"I wanted to start here. This is my first step into this field..and I didn't want to overwhelm myself." I told him.

"Ah. Well welcome to Blackscale. You are?"

"Quentin."

"Nice to meet you, Quentin. I guess you should get acquainted with everyone else."

"Ah dude don't worry about it-"

"Hey!" The guy— who had yet to introduce himself, said to the group.

The murmuring subsided.

"This is Quentin, he's new here. What kind of example are we setting if we're just sitting around and talking? Introduce yourselves..talk about what you're working on... say something."

"Ughh we just had a new guy like two weeks ago. I'm tired of introducing myself, Grayson." A girl said, rolling her eyes.

"Do it anyway. I'll start, I'm Grayson. I joined the art directors about a year ago...anddd I usually get the most stuff done around here."

"Grayson you get stuff done because you're a kiss up. We alll know Rivers doesn't check progress until Fridays, so why are you always rushing?" The same girl from before said, making a few people snicker.

"Thank you, Erica for your insight. Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself to our new team member?"

"Fine." The green eyed girl said, turning to look at me. "I'm Erica, I've been here since last August. Things aren't usually this formal..Grayson is just being extra."

This sentence seemed to really highlight her Bronx accent.

"Here's a bright idea, how about we let him introduce himself?" A guy from the back said.

Why couldn't I just sit here and work on my sketches?

"Great idea, Adrian. Quentin, if you wouldn't mind standing up and introducing yourself?" Grayson said to me.

Stand up confidently, Quentin. Only one chance to make a first impression.

"I'm Quentin, I'm new here at Blackscale, I specialize in street fashion, and..I can't wait to show you all what I can do."

"He's cute.." a low voice said.

"Travis he can hear you." Someone else whispered back.

"From what I've seen so far Quentin, you're gonna be great." Grayson said.

The art directors are...quite a group.

Nadia

After my awkward date— I'd gone straight to bed. I didn't feel like being sad over another failed attempt at a relationship, so I didn't give myself the chance to.

That next morning, I decided to schedule a brief meeting with Daley. I couldn't yell at her for talking bad about me— I'm sure everyone around here does, but I could give her a lesson on professionalism.