holy expedition

*because this was originally off the manga, this is after Kyo's transformation and not before, when reasonably we're at the second season. Hence why Ritsu still hasn't been shown. So bear with the merge here, it's still okay out of the show's timeline.

The classroom door flings open in my wake. One step, two-step, stomp and take off with a spin. "Sparrow Spin—" I brandish my book and go for Nanami's backside, "Attack!"

She nearly crumples, folding backwards while holding on to her behind. "What's wrong with you?!" she cried as classmates surround her and ask if she's okay.

"I'm filled to the brim with fighting spirit! I'm going through metamorphosis! I will become a butterfly!" I cry, away while breezing through various karate poses. "Can you come for dinner? Can you, can you?"

"Sure, after student council. I guess I'll follow Yuki-kun." She stands up with aching pain, turning back to me and grabbing me by the cheeks, inspecting my face. "You cried yesterday, didn't you? Your eyes are puffy still."

I slap her hand away. "No! It's allergies!" There, another lie. Terrible at this, Kuroi.

I back up but she grabs me and flips me to face the potential dangers of bumping into Kaito. "A-ah! Tomoya-senpai! Did you need something? I-I was about to go find Tohru—"

"Did you really cry last night? What could you be allergic to?" he meets with a grin. "I recall Uotani-san remarking you have a dog, and a cat, and you love spring, and you're a picky eater—Ah! Caught you, Sohma-chan. I had to hear all these things because everyone has been invited to your house but me! Why is that now, huh? You secretly... hate me? Or maybe, secretly, you have a cuter older sister that you're scared I'll like more than you? Worry not, I am a loyal man—"

"Fine, fine, you're invited for dinner too!"

A few steps later, I'm quivering as I approach Tohru, who's along with Hatsuharu. "Tohru-kun, I'm sorry, I invited Nanami, then accidentally invited Tomoya-senpai so I have to be careful—! But we will make dinner together tonight!" I clap my hands together. "I screwed up, how are we going to cover up your secret and make sure he doesn't figure us out?"

I look up to see her face a little more stuck in the trance of her thoughts than usual, trying to process my gibberish. Makes me realize this is a bad time, but now I've got to ask what's on her mind. Maybe Kyo's transformation... It's a lot to digest.

I don't know what that stupid cat is talking about. To tell Tohru when really, sometime we're just two sides of a coin, unable to share everything on our mind because we're too worried about how others feel. One of us will have to let go first.

My posture straightens, pointing a finger at her. If I wanna change au have to stop messing things up all the time. "Actually, don't worry about it! I got it down. Invite whoever!"

So, I guess, Hatsuharu is following us too.

"Don't expect me for dinner, I'm going to be at the dojo," Kyo remarks on our walk home. Then he takes a scathing glare at Kaito. "But don't think I trust this playboy."

"Sorry, sorry, sorry! It was coercion!" I cry.

"Only one way to deceive the deceiving, I say! Ha-ha-ha!" he cheers, then eyes Tohru, respectfully. "I have to ask... Honda-san really walks home with you everyday or...?"

"My adoptive sister," I explain. "It's a long story, but it's not weird when I put it that way, I guess? I had issues with family and whatnot back in elementary and middle school, sort of how we came to be." Of course he knows Kyoko passed away too, so the rest doesn't explain itself but it does make enough sense to go with. I don't know why I never just went with this excuse before.