Chapter Sixteen

The next morning began with Gertrude making assorted dishes. It was going to be her last chore in the house. Ebere and Chika helped her, pleading with her at same time not to leave. They'd made white rice and vegetable sauce, roasted turkey, catfish peppersoup, white yam and egg sauce. Now, she was frying the plantain while the girls washed the dirty dishes.

"Don't worry eh, during vacations, I'll come around, that is if you girls are still here."

"Are you sure? Don't do us promise and fail o." Ebere chipped in.

"I won't. I promise." Gertrude responded.

"I won't say anything yet till I see you. Ehe, are we expecting guests?" Chika asked.

"Mba o(no). That other visitor, Mr kelvin gave Gertrude the list of what to cook. Maybe they're celebrating something." Ebere responded.

"Nsogbu adiro(no problem). My stomach is already wanting the food." Chika said and they all laughed.

Gertrude rounded up with the plantain and put it in its place before heading to the dinning to set the table.
She ran into Micheal who came to collect water from the fridge.

"Good morning sir." She greeted.

He looked at her, memories of what he had done to her came to his head and he bit his lips.

"Morning Gertrude. Uhm, are you really going back to school or you just used that to get my wife's permission?"

"I wish to go back to school sir and I told madam the truth.'

"That's good to hear. I want to apologise for what I did to you. I need no soothsayer to tell me that's the reason why you're leaving. I'm sorry and do find it in your heart to forgive me."

"Please don't embarrass me sir. You don't have to.......'

"My being your employer gives me no right to treat you in whatever way I please. Forgive me and thanks for keeping my secret."

"Its alright sir. Thank you. Breakfast will be ready in ten minutes."

He gave her a nod and left with the bottle of water.

Claire woke up and was surprised to find herself in a different room. She looked around and saw her wedding pictures on the wall. How dare he bring her to that room? How dare he make her lie on that bed he had defiled? She stood up and made to leave but the door opened and he came in, bolting the door behind him.

"Good morning my princess, hope you slept well." He said with a smile.

"Why did you bring me here?"
Her question surprised him but he still maintained his smile.

"Baby this is our room. You slept off and......"

"And you should have taken me to my room. Never you think that I'll share this room with you again."

"Baby I'm sorry. You don't have to punish me this way honey. I love you and treating me like this hurts Claire. It's not fair."

She felt his pain but she needed to break him. He needs to respect her as a woman.

"Sleeping with my sister is not fair. In my house, in my room, Micheal that is not fair. I'm outta here."
She brushed past him and left the room.

He sat down on the bed, holding the bottle of water. He deserved it, whatever she does or says, he deserves it. But he won't stop, he won't give up on their marriage.
His phone beeped and he picked it from the lamp stand. It was a text message. He read it and ignored it, gulping down the water straight from the bottle.
He would straighten his marriage, make things perfect and then deal with his past.