THIRTY FIVE

unedited

also there's a fuck ton of fluff in this and i- BLEURGH yuck i hate that shit but y'all seem to eat it up so here you go xoxo

THIRTY FIVE. HOTCH'S APARTMENT

AFTER A QUIET DRIVE BACK FROM THE BAU, DAISY FOUND HERSELF INSIDE THE PLACE HOTCH CALLED HOME. He had taken every precaution possible, from having her sit in the backseat to making her walk in front of him so he could keep an eye on her. It was only when they reached his door did he step inside first.

"Make yourself at home," he said, gesturing to the enclosed space before he turned to the alarm to punch in the code. He expected her to be jumping about and making comments about his way of living, but he was pleasantly surprised to see her being incredibly respectful of his space. He always thought so negatively of her, when she actually was very thoughtful.

"What's Jack like?" she asked, gently picking up one of the many photo frames scattered through the living room. The apartment was cosier than she expected it to be - a nice contrast to the unit chief's personality. Woollen throws hung over the back of the sofa, and the yellow lights made the two bedroom home seem warm and welcoming. "Is he cooler than you?"

"Definitely," Hotch mused, slipping out of his professional persona once he closed the door. He put her bag and coat on the dining table, then discarded his gun and badge while she wandered around. At the mention of his son, he  felt the familiar pang in his chest. He missed that boy every moment they were apart. "I don't think he's got a bad bone in his body."

Daisy smiled at his words, her eyes flickering up to the man. He was looking back at her with a soft expression. His frown lines weren't so clear, and in the lamplight he seemed so...pretty. She put the picture down and tilted her head, watching him carefully. "You know, you're a lot sweeter to be around when you're not on the clock."

"I think that's the closest I'm going to get to a compliment, so thank you," Hotch shook his head, a deep chuckle reverberating through him. His feet took him to the kitchen, where he opened the almost empty fridge.

"You're very welcome," Daisy teased, walking across the room and over to him. The fridge didn't look too different from her own. It wasn't an uncommon sight in their line of work; there was no point in stocking up on food unless they were grounded. "Now, Aaron, I have a very important question."

Hotch glanced over his shoulder at the use of his first name. He couldn't help but feel a tickle in his stomach at the way she said it; how the word rolled off her tongue. There was a part of him that hoped she'd asked the kind of question that would lead to something exciting. "And what's that?"

"Do you have a sheet to put over the couch?" she inquired, causing Hotch to falter slightly. Oh. She noticed his change in expression and poked his arm, clearly amused. "Sorry to disappoint."