⇢ CHAPTER 42

season 7 episode 16

Since Holly and Meredith were the two resident's on Derek's clinical trial, they had come up with a routine for someone to evaluate the possible patients in the morning so every few days the other would be in charge and scrub in with Derek for the...

Since Holly and Meredith were the two resident's on Derek's clinical trial, they had come up with a routine for someone to evaluate the possible patients in the morning so every few days the other would be in charge and scrub in with Derek for the surgery.

It was Holly's day to evaluate the patients in the morning while Meredith went into surgery with Derek. After evaluating all the patients for the day, Holly was assigned to Altman's pre-ops.

"Hello, Mr..." Holly checked the chart to make sure she was in the right room, "Sullivan. I'm Dr. Kepner, I'm on Dr. Altman's service today and I'll be prepping you for surgery."

"Call me Richard." The patient, who was no more than thirty years old, pleaded, "Or Ricky-- Mr. Sullivan makes me sound like I need a hearing aid."

"Well..." Richard's boyfriend joked.

"Tim!" Richard rolled his eyes as Holly chuckled lightly and checked his vitals, "Don't you need to go sign some papers?"

"Oh, yeah." Tim nodded before looking up at Holly and lowered his voice, "It's 'cause he's too lazy to fill them out himself."

Holly held in a laugh as Ricky yelled, "Tim!"

"I'm kidding!" Tim chuckled, giving him a kiss on the cheek before walking away.

Holly lightly chuckled and brought her stethoscope off of her neck, "Alright Mr-- Ricky, I'm gonna need you to take a nice deep breath."

Jackson glanced over at Holly from his spot in the Nurse's station, watching how she treated her patient and laughed at a joke as someone left the room. He sighed heavily, his thoughts trailing back to a piece of advice a patient had given him.

"If the girl you've liked for a while hasn't noticed," The patient's voice rang, "she's either oblivious, or not interested."

He didn't want to face that truth— that Holly couldn't be as interested in him as he was to her, and then he remembered Lexie— the girl that he had gotten closer to in the past few weeks. The girl that was still hung up on Mark although he asked her out to a game.

Holly was an easy choice— the right choice, the girl he had liked since the moment he laid eyes on her. The girl he was willing to wait years for. The girl who's mind he could practically read. The girl who he could see himself happy with for years.

Yet all he could think about was Lexie.

"My boyfriend had a super dorky crush on me." Ricky started as Holly wrote down his vitals on the chart, "I never really noticed how much I liked him until I realized how much I missed him." He shrugged, "My family disowned me and some of my friends left me so I was used to being alone. And it sucked. But with him, I never found myself alone-- the dark hole that I climbed into now had a ladder. And as corny as it sounds, he made me whole."