Chapter 3: Rebel

"I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knife," Take Me to Church by Hozier

My shadow stalked the wall as a dim light turned on. I stilled. I kept my eyes cast down. Entwining my fingers together, I stood in the doorway of Hayden Marks' study, waiting for him to speak.

Hayden could've passed for a king on his throne with his aristocratic features and the way he sat comfortably behind his black desk. The golden glint from the studded pieces of gold lining the chair reflected in the silver mirror behind him. I could just make out the coiling Chinese dragon design in the trim.

I'll bet his wallpaper is made with gold shavings. It was too dark to confirm my suspicions though. I wish he'd turn on a brighter light.

"You're prompt. That's good."

"I want to see Harper," I said, faster than I had intended.

I wanted to punch myself for being so outspoken. He held the cards, not me. It was something I had to keep reminding myself of. Demanding could get me in trouble. With one flick of his manicured finger, he could have me carted off to prison with digital footage of my thrice times trespassing. My eyes darted up to ascertain his reaction, but there wasn't one.

I cleared my throat. "I just haven't seen her since you took her is all. I miss her."

His shoulders lifted as he heaved a sigh and shuffled some papers in his hands. "After we go over the details; the success of this mission is in the details. Do you understand?"

I nodded.

"Have a seat," he said, gesturing towards one of the two chairs in front of his desk. "In the left seat, you'll find your first week's uniform, a name badge, and a book bag with basic supplies. The bag in the right chair is your makeup bag."

I glanced down at the red and black box, not taking the seat he offered. "Not a makeup kind of girl."

He raised a charcoal-colored eyebrow. "I suppose it's a good thing that it's not real makeup then."