[63] Don't Tell Me

'When confronted with a challenge, the committed heart will search for a solution. The undecided heart searches for an escape' - Andy Andrews

Chapter 63: Don't Tell Me

We finally went to sleep at noon, passed out all over the living room.  It was a good idea to prepare the pull-out couch bed, but DJ T never even made it to his. 

I woke up to the sound of my phone vibrating next to my nose. My face was plastered against the pillow and I woke up as if I had been knocked out for the last few hours. 

I put the phone to my ear, "Lavender Georgia Young, you better be finding your way home by tomorrow. I don't want you anywhere other than Maythorne Manor when the Visit occurs. If you're not prepared for it, there is zero chance you'll survive. Zero!"

"Euh..." I tried to speak but my throat was sore. 

The caller hung up.  Mrs Maythorne was an aggressive alarm clock. 

I turned around and found Jesper asleep next to me. He had one arm behind the back of his head and, somehow, he was shirtless again.

I sat up and looked at the four other bodies passed out on the living room. The blue hair meant one of them was Tyler. 

"Jesper," I shook him awake, "Jesper."

"Hmm?" he opened his eyes and when he saw me he smiled. 

He pulled me closer towards him to give me another kiss. "Happy new year."

"Happy new year," I said, relaxing a little. 

I'd woken up thinking of life-and-death and here Jesper was reminding me of love. Well, that's a strong word, but he's been my best friend for life, so there's definitely strong feelings there.

"I think we have to go," I told him, "The Visit is coming soon and Mrs Maythorne just called."

Jesper groaned and slowly sat up, "She ordered you?"

"Yes."

**

Since I had a life or death trial coming up in a couple days, it didn't make much sense to talk about our future.  The what ifs, the whys, the how are we feeling? 

And most importantly, the what are we?

Jesper didn't ask me any of those questions.  Last night had shown that we cared for each other in a different way than before. 

And that was it.  

"I want you to focus on surviving this cursed visit," Jesper told me, driving through the night. We hadn't wasted any time in making the road trip. 

"I hope I make it," I said, staring at the open road ahead of us.

"You have to," Jesper answered, "I don't know what life will be if you don't."

"This is the one thing you can't do with me, isn't it?" I asked, looking at him, "Are you scared too?"

He didn't take his eyes off the road but he said, "Terrified."

I was scared I'll change.  Right now, I'm human.  I feel human emotions and I've lived the life of a human.  I was scared that after the Visit, I would be changed.

**

We arrived at Maythorne Manor in the early hours of the next morning.  Jesper went straight to sleep since he'd been driving the whole time. I had napped for a little in the car but, also, I find myself needing less sleep lately.