Chap 7- Ehd (عہد)

"Whats with the screaming...calm down..aap aram se bhi baat karsakti hein" he said, whilst securing his hold on the towel and continuing with his 'getting ready' procedure.

(..You can speak calmly too you know)

She span on her heels turning her back towards him muttering an astagfarallah.

"Listen I know we are 'mArRiEd'.." she stated, air quoting the word married. "But! that does not mean we are going to be so.. so Exposed around each other....I don't care about this stupid marriage..it holds zero value to me..so I would really appreciate it if you stop getting so comfortable around me to think you can walk in on me in a towel and then walk out in one yourself in front of me too..and what did you say aram? aram se baat? isey zyada aram se baat me kar nahi sakti aapse..aur itni hi arampasand guftugu karni hai tho apni harakatein hi sudharlein..esai thori hota hai.." she ranted.

(...Calm? calmly talk? I can't speak more calmer than i already am speaking..and if you really want to have calm conversations then at least fix up yourself..you're not meant to be like this)

He let out a sigh when she paused her 'one-breath' rant to take a breath "hogaya?" he asked.
(Done?)

"Nahi, nahi hua!" she said rolling her eyes.
(No, not done)

He ever so lightly chuckled at her childish antics. "Wesai abh aap palatsakti hein" he said.
(btw you can turn around now)

"What makes you think I would want to turn and face you?" she said, in an effort to annoy him again.

"Theek hai, mat paltein...lekin aapse mujhe ek baat karni thi, woh sunlein"
(Ok, don't turn around..but hear me out)

"Mujhe aapse koi baat nahi karni...baraye meharbani, leave me alone!"
(I don't want to hear anything from you..please, leave me alone)

He groaned in annoyance. He gripped her arm spinning her around to face him. She spun and jerked his hand away.

"Ahinda se mujhe chuney ki kashosh mat karna..smajhe!" she warned...remembering the events of last night.
(don't you dare try and touch me again..understand!)

"Me aapse baat karne ki koshish karaha hu...aapse sahi se maafi mangna chahta hu..and we should talk it out what we should do from here...how we are going to make this work..is sab ke liye baat karna zaroori hai" he explained.
(I am trying to talk to you..trying to..apologise)
(Communication is important for all of this)

She was stunned hearing his words. There was a silent shock over her face for a couple of seconds till she erupted with laughter. Though there was no humour in her laughter.

"Ismeh hasne wali koi baat nahi hai" he stated.
(There's nothing funny about this)

"Yeh mazak nahi tha?...if you really wanted to make life easier for the both of us, you would've divorced me when I asked for it...lekin woh tho ap karne se rahe......but maybe you're right we should talk things out ... and set some ground rules.."
(Oh, I'm sorry this wasn't a joke?..
..but not you won't do that..)

"Kya rules set karna chahti hein aap?"
(What rules would you like to set?)

"hmm..awal tho me university jaongi"
(firstly I'm going to university)

"yeh tho achi baat hai..me bhi yahi chahunga ke aap apni parhai mukamal karein"
(Thats great..I would like for you to complete your education too)

She was shocked at his approval, he looked like the typical desi arrogant man who wouldn't approve of such things. But when she understood that he would let her do so she continued with some more rules.

"Aur dusri shart yeh hai keh aap.. mujhse dur rahenge. Aur mujhse koi umeed nahi rakehnge is shaadi ko leke.....hmmff..filhal mere dimagh me aur kuch aa nahi raha..ayega tho woh shartein bhi batadungi" she dismissed him and began walking out of the room.

(And secondly You will stay away from me. and will not expect anything regarding this marriage from me..thats all i can think of for now..if i think of anything moe i'll let you know..)

"Meri bhi ek shart hai!" he announced in his ever so authoritative voice, stopping her in her track.

(I have a condition too!)

"Kya shart?" she asked, whilst looking towards him over her shoulder.
(and whats that?)

"Is rishtey ki ehmiyat karni hogi apko..abh aap sirf apni hi nahi meri bhi izzat hein..aur me nahi chahta ke meri izzat pe koi ungli utah sakey"
(You will have to value this relation..you aren't just your own but my honour too now..and i don't tolerate a mess in my respect)

She again let out a humourless laugh and turned fully facing him, "hahaha..izzat?..izzat?..meri izzat-e-nafs ka tamasha banake aap yeh chatey hein ke me apki izzat ki hifazat karu?" she stated more than question.
(Honour? Respect?..after mocking my self-respect you expect me to value and gaurd yours?)

He inhaled "Ishime aapki bhi izat hogi..aur InshaAllah jab sahi waqt ayega tho yeh sabh apko majburan nahi karna pareyga".
(This will be honourable for you too..and hopefully one day you will do this with your own will)

There was a minute silence between the two. Qirat knew he was right and she couldn't object it. Breaking the silence Zaakir spoke up "abhi mujhe kuch zaroori kaam hai aur mujhey jana hoga..aap Falak ke saath rehna woh apko university ke barey me bhi batadengi.....aur haan aj shaam thak shayad kuch rishtedar ajaye ghar pe tho tayar rehna" saying this he walked passed her and left.
(right now i have some important work to tend to..you stay with Falak she'll tell you all about university..and yes..by evening some relatives may pop along so be prepared)