Ch.27 Home in You

Chapter 27

"Heyder, stop!" Ali grabbed his friend's arm and pulled him back as he marched down the hall of the palace. "This isn't a good idea."

"You think I'm nothing going to go see her?" Heyder shrugged off Ali's arm.

"Her family will kill you,"

"They can't can't jinns," Heyder laughed. "If they could, don't you think Owen would have done so already?"

"That man has amazing self control," Ali said as he scurried behind Heyder. "But I still think this is a bad idea."

"Why?" Heyder asked in confusion.

"Well, let's see. Hmmm, Maya hates you. She wa-"

"She doesn't hate me," Heyder shook his head. "She's angry. She has every right to be. I was an idiot to her."

"Give her space. Let her calm down!"

"I can't give her space. I need her," Heyder took the stairs up two at a time. "Maya!"

"Oh god lord have mercy upon this poor creature. May he rest in.....pieces."

"Maya!" Heyder called down the hall again.

"What the hell do you think you are doing here?" Mavi's voice boomed as she hurried out of her office.

"Hey, Mavi," Heyder greeted her, not really paying any attention as he rushed down the hall towards Maya's room. "Where is Maya?"

"You are not welcomed here, Heyder," Mavi said sternly. "Leave."

"Relax, I'm here to see Maya."

"I don't care why you're here. Leave!"

Ali stood in the middle of the hall, speechless. He looked at Heyder going from door to door and Mavi fuming after him.

"Why do these doors all look the same?" Heyder asked as he checked the fourth bedroom, only to find it empty.

"Heyder," Ali followed Mavi down the hall. "We gotta go."

"Don't let her scare you," Heyder smirked over his shoulder at his friend. "She's harmless."

"She's a.....dragon," Ali whispered.

"And you're made of smokeless flames," Heyder snapped. He was about to round the corner when a sudden spark of lightning smacked him across the face.

"Son of a -" Heyder shook his head and stumbled back a few inches. The attack left him disoriented and dizzy as he lifted his gaze and spotted Gemma standing a few feet ahead of him with her hand held up and ready to strike again.

"Come on, Gemma," Heyder groaned. "I just want to talk to Maya."

"She doesn't want to see you," Gemma said through her teeth. "Please, Heyder. I'm begging you. Leave her alone. You've done enough damage."

Heyder flinched from the witch's words. He felt his chest tighten as he took a ragged breath and held up his hands.

"I mean no harm," he said slowly. "I just want to talk to her. I promise I will make everything right."

"No," Gemma shook her head. "Not possible. Leave, please."

"She's asking nicely, we should go," Ali reached for Heyder's arm.

"Listen to you friend," Mavi said from behind them.

"Maybe I'm not being clear," Heyder grew frustrated. "I am not leaving until I see Maya. To hell with all of you Dorins. I'm here to see my girl."