Chapter Twenty Four

Take a break and give your soul what it needs - Audrey Kitching

Ah, Sunday. The most boring day of the week. Nothing to do, nothing to watch on TV. Everything opens late and closes early.

I had the weirdest dream last night. The same girl as before, Aubrey, was standing in front of me. I could make out her features more clearly this time. She had slightly pointed ears, almond shaped green eyes and a beauty mark above the left side of her lip.

Last time she wouldn't speak to me which I assumed is what would happen again. But I was wrong.

I looked around partially expecting to see Mr. Haggerty since she seems to have some sort of connection to him.

After a few moments of looking around, I heard, "You won't find him." I whipped around, brows raised. "You're looking for your teacher, correct?" I slowly nodded. "He won't be joining us tonight."

Okay. This just got real creepy real fast.

"Your name is Aubrey, right? What do you want from me?"

She refused to answer my question. "Don't help him. He is one of them. He will betray you. He cannot be trusted. None of them can."

"What are you talking about?"

Then I remembered Mary asking me to help Damon.

"Are you talking about Damon?"

"He cannot be trusted. He cannot be trusted. He was born of them. He will become the same. He cannot be trusted."

"I don't know what you're talking about. Look, I know who you are but I don't know you. His mother asked me to look out for him. He hasn't wronged me substantially yet. Thus he has given me no reason not to trust him."

I began walking away as if it would allow me to wake up or at least leave this dream.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my wrist, yanking me back.

"You must listen or you will end up like me. Like us."

I looked behind her to see a plethora of women, all different heights, ethnicities, though most Caucasian, and hair colours.

"What the? What is this?"

"This is your future if you're not careful."

I again trying to pull my arm from her tight grip, to no avail.

"Don't fight. I only want to help you. We want to help you."

The other women remained where they stood, silently watching as I struggled to break free.

As I was struggling, I saw a bright light appear.

"Let her go!" A female voice said sternly.

Wait. I know that voice.

"Mary?" I asked before the bright light finally dimmed enough for me to see that it was in fact Mary, Damon's mom.

"I won't say it again. Let her go."

Albeit reluctantly, Aubrey finally let go.

"You're putting her in danger. You know that? Asking her to look out for your boy. You know what he is capable of. What they are capable of."

"I would never ask this of her if I thought her life would be in danger. Besides, when he gets his sights on someone, he doesn't give up. You of all people should know that better than anyone else."

I stood back as the two of them carried on a conversation as though I was no longer there.

Finally, Mary turned to me. "Please help my boy. He will find things out. Things that will shock him. He's going to need a friend to be there for him. Can I count on you to be that friend?"