Chapter 4

(Steven's POV)

The talk with Connie went better than I hoped. Packing up my stuff and some extra provisions, I got ready for my little vacation to Homeworld. It's probably good that I'm going so I can keep Holly Blue off of Spinel's back. I headed back downstairs where Connie and the Gems were waiting to see me off.

"I'll see you guys in a week or so. Love you." I said as I hugged and kissed the Gems and gave Connie a quick peck on the lips.

"Stay out of trouble while you're there. I don't want to have to come cracking heads because someone hurt you. That someone being Holly Blue..." Garnet said as I chuckled.

"Was that Ruby or Sapphire talking? I can't really tell anymore." I asked as she laughed.

"Both of them..they love you just like I do." Garnet said as Pearl and Amethyst laughed as well.

"I'll let Peri and Lapis know what's up. So don't worry about them." Amethyst said.

"And I'll let your father know." Pearl said as I smiled.

"Thanks guys. Let me get going. Better prep for the Diamonds as well." I said as I headed to the Warp Pad and warped to Homeworld.

(Connie's POV)

I'll miss Steven so much. I know he'll only be gone for a week, but still: Being away from him just does something to me. I could see the Gems looking at me with a smirk.

"Dang. Hasn't even been gone a full 5 minutes yet and you already miss him, Connie?" Amethyst asked as I stuck my tongue out at her, causing Pearl to laugh.

"It's so sweet how you and Steven are. It reminds me a lot of me and...." Pearl began to say until Garnet gave her a sharp look to shut her up.

"Pearl. Don't even think about it. Don't even think about comparing mine and Steven's relationship to whatever you and his Mom had. That's how we got into the whole corruption mess to begin with. I don't want any comparisons. I want it to be something Steven can easily say is his and not a copy of what his Mom had." Connie said as Amethyst smiled.

"Looks like you're serious about what Steven told you about. Well, if you can get better, then so can we. If you can become someone Steven deserves to have in his life, then so can we." She said as Connie giggled.

"Yeah. Anyway, let me get going. I have to go see my Mom before she has a chance to go through my personal items yet again." Connie said as she got on Lion and left. Pearl and Amethyst soon left as well, the latter scolding the former about not being able to let go of the past.

Now alone, Garnet simply chuckled.

"You aren't the only one who loves Steven, Connie. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it." The fusion chuckled as she went to her room to meditate.

*Meanwhile...*

(Narrator's POV)

Arriving on Homeworld, Steven sighed. While things were different now in regards to his ancestral Gem home, the hybrid still felt uneasy whenever he came here. It didn't matter if it was his human or Gem half:Both halves of Steven felt the same unease about being here.

But with all that had happened in the past, no one could blame Steven for feeling that way. But despite his unease, Spinel was no doubt counting on his support right now with Holly Blue Agate.

"Ah! Steven, you've come!" A familar voice said happily as Steven smiled at Blue Zircon. The former Homeworld lawyer was enjoying this peaceful time because it meant a relaxing and well deserved retirement for her with no more need for execution trials.