18. The Arsonist

"He's my brother

"He's my brother."

Jungkook's words were spoken lightly as they passed his lips, but they grew heavier in the air and by the time they reached me, the weight of them was massive. My mouth parted while I stared at the black-haired male, trying to decipher his thoughts. What he said had to be a lie. There was no sense to it. But what purpose would he have in making it up?

The receptionist was oblivious to how shocking the revelation was. She nodded and thanked him, quickly writing on the form. As soon as she left, my eyes latched on to Jungkook's mischievous stare. He tilted his head and the corners of his lips lifted in faint amusement.

"Got anything to ask me, Red?"

I struggled to find my voice as I tore my gaze from him to his supposed brother. Hoseok's mask blocked me from gaining the insight I was searching for, but his eyes were storming with a quiet rage. He was too intent on glaring at Jungkook to even acknowledge me.

"Are you two really brothers?" I finally asked, noting how Hoseok shut his eyes at the question.

"Yes."

I looked back at Jungkook and he pulled his gaze from Hoseok to me. There was still a hint of playfulness whirling in his eyes, and it was clear that he enjoyed seeing me so flustered.

"But... how? Your last names are-"

"We aren't related by blood. My parents adopted Hoseok when he was little, so we grew up together as brothers."

"I chose to keep my last name." Hoseok's voice was low as he joined in.

My mind refused to so easily accept the new information. "How did I not know? Wouldn't the others have mentioned it?"

"The others don't know," Jungkook said, "And it needs to stay that way."

I frowned. "What? Why are you being so secretive about it?" What do they have to hide?

"Jangmi," Hoseok stepped closer and waited for me to look at him. His tone was careful yet held a certain authority behind it. "I know this might seem strange to you, but we need you to keep this to yourself. Jungkook was an idiot for saying it in front of you."

Jungkook scoffed and his playful demeanor switched off, replaced by a sharp bitterness. "At least I'm being honest with her."

The blatant double meaning in his tone was impossible to ignore. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Both of them went silent. I glanced between the two and shook my head in disbelief. I was tired of feeling so entirely lost, clueless of my surroundings. It was like treading water that only grew deeper and darker the longer I was in it, without any land in sight to rescue me.

I was fully prepared to leave the room again, not wanting to put up with their game of secrets. Hoseok was calling my name as I made it to the door, but what stopped me was the body that rammed into me.