~3~

•TESLA•

If there was one thing I knew for certain about the kids at Kingsville High School, it was that they loved to party.  Every weekend there was bound to be at least one party to attend thrown by someone in the school. 

This weekend the location was Josh Bruneli's house on Friday, so tomorrow.

Almost a whole week had gone by since the business party at my house where Mister Peres bought out Benji Hayes's father's mechanic shop.

Before, I don't think Benji noticed much of me, but now I began receiving glares on the daily. Every time he passed me in the hall his eyes bored into mine as though he thought he could burn holes in me with them. It was ridiculous. I had nothing to do with what happened to his fathers company, and quite frankly, I think it's a good thing he sold it, now they have money they probably wouldn't have made by running it.

Anyways, Betti has been begging me all week to go to Josh's party, and it was getting to get irritating. I've never been to a high school party and I don't really plan on it. They seemed lame and Sebastian would never approve.

"Please go with me Tesla, it'd be so much more fun with you there." Betti begged as she clutched my arm. "I'm sure there will be hot guys."

"I have Sebastian." I reminded her with a chuckle. "The college hottie, remember?"

"Yeah, the college hottie who's probably going to be in bed with another girl tomorrow night." She remarked. "He's 21, in college, and rarely sees you.  I don't think he takes you as serious as you take him." 

I rolled my eyes at this.  Betti was always trying to tell me that there was no way he wasn't sleeping with other girls, but I didn't believe her.  Sebastian was sweet and would never do that to me.

"Sebastian wouldn't do that to me." I retorted, annoyance laced in my voice. "Besides, cheer tryouts are Monday and I need to rehearse."

"They're going to accept you no matter what anyways." Betti rolled her eyes before marching away. 

God she was a drama queen.  And what the hell did that even mean?  She always acted like I got some special treatment, and I didn't. 

I sighed before stuffing my bag in my locker and grabbing my lunch box, then trudging towards the lunch room, my heels clicking against the floor in the process. 

Today I felt confident and I was not going to let Betti Lee's negativity get me down.

"Hey guys," I greeted my friends as I seated myself at the round table.

"Hey Tesla," One of my friends, Ryan, greeted back as I sat my lunch box down on the table top. "What'd mommy pack you today?"

"Mommy packed me a sandwich to give you today." I mocked his annoying voice.

Don't get me wrong, Ryan and I were friends, he just was very... overbearing.

"Really? What kind?" Did I mention he was also kind of dumb?

I laughed before punching him in the arm. "Knuckle."

Ryan cackled at my joke, seeming to be the only person who thought it was funny. Yeah, yeah, I'm not the funniest, I know.

"You hit like a girl!" He taunted before taking my bag of carrots out of my lunch box and replacing them with a bag of ruffle chips from his own.

I loved chips, my mom just never let me have them. Eating carbs in my house was like... befriending satan. It sucked to be honest.

"I can't trade today." I protested as I swapped our foods back, opening my bag of carrots.

"That's ridiculous." My other friend, Meg, chimed in.

I simply shook my head in disagreement before nibbling on the carrots; aka rabbit food.

I didn't feel like arguing in my mother's defense today. All I knew is that if I didn't slim down soon, I'd be wearing a cheer uniform that's 3 sizes too small... well, assuming I make the team that is.

I didn't talk much for about five minutes after that, I was too deep into my thoughts. That was until Fabian, yet another one of my friends, decided to interrupt them.

"That dress is gorgeous, Tessie." He squealed as he seated himself on the other side of me, opposite from Ryan.

Before you assume Fabian was hitting on me or anything with the weird nickname and compliments, he's gay. He was attractive though, any girl could admit that.  He had perfectly tanned skin and spoke fluent Spanish.  His parents moved here from Puerto Rico when he was younger. 

"Thank you, Fabi."  I laughed as I stood up, finished with my food.  "I'll be right back, I'm gonna go throw these wrappers away." 

As I marched towards the trash cans, I heard Fabian yell my name, causing me to turn my head a bit and look behind me.  Turns out that was a mistake, because the next thing I knew I collided into someone and caused them to spill the contents of their lunch onto me as I flung to the ground. 

"What the hell?"  I groaned as I sat up, taking in my appearance as the lunch room fell silent. 

"You need to watch where the hell you walk."  The voice of the person I bumped into boomed from above me. 

I quickly stood up to see who it was that just poured their lunch on me.  My perfect white dress was now completely ruined, covered in chocolate milk and spaghetti sauce. 

Benji Hayes. 

"You jerk!"  I spat as I tried to make myself taller to intimidate him. 

"Funny."  He mused before leaning in close.  "Cause I'd say the same about your little boyfriend and his dad."

~~

AUTHORS NOTE

Thank you so much for reading!! Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoyed it(:

If you've read any of my other stories, you probably know I love asking questions in the author notes and getting to know my readers.

If you don't know already, my name is Maddy, I'm from Iowa, and I love boxing. Where are you from? Do you have any hobbies outside of reading/writing?